1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

95 f-350

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by vis, Jan 11, 2006.

1. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

I currently have a 95 f-350 with a 1.5 yd sander and a 8 ft western plow on it.

Last storm after leaving one of my residentials i pulled out of the drveway and the flat bed with sander was up in the air and my cab tipped slightly foward.

what had happened was the frame cracked right where the cab meets the flat bed, in one clean crack straight down on both sides and allowed the truck to tip in half.

now the truck is sitting at my house and im told that nothing was severly damaged, and if it was welded and repaired it would be fine to plow with, but not put any sand on the back...

what do you guys think?>

2. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

you mean you broke the truck frame? get rid of that truck as fast as you can. once the frame breaks like that, the truck will never drive straight again. it must of been either rusted bad or extremly overloaded. if i were you i would buy a new truck and get rid of that one.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  3. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

yup bad rust over the years....truck frame broken.

local shops around here say that it can be patched and used for light duty back up plowing.

picture the truck as a V plow sitting upside down the bed went this way / the cab went this way \

it did not break entirly in half tho only about half way, some how and it tipped as i explained above. the break is almost perfectly straight and they say with a few plates for reinforcement and welding, it will be fine for plowing, just no sander.

4. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

when they heat the frame as they weld and patch it the metal will weaken. if you wanna just use the tuck for plowing without a sander then im sure it would work ok. i wouldnt truck it tho. i say weld it together and sell it asap let some one else worry about it. get yourself a less rusted more reliable truck

5. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

I agree.. run away from this truck.. You are looking at major headaches in the future.

6. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

if the frames in decent shape couldnt they plate and weld the frame together
    i remember in the early 90s

if the frame is in decent shape. couldnt they plate and weld the cracked area
    i remember in the early 90s gm had frames cracking behind the cab on tow trucks. the repair was plate the section and weld it together

john

7. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

I would weld it and use it for plowing only. Since the frame only broke half way the truck will still be straight when they weld it . If it's as rusty as you say and now has a repaired frame no one will buy it for what it's worth to you as a plow. Even as a spare if you use it once or twice it will make more money than what you'd get for it.

8. Ian

Ian Member

I would not hesitate in the least to have the crack properly prepared and welded with a doubler plate. My only minor concern would be with the rust. If it is really bad it can cause problems when welding.

The repair is not a problem for a professional welder. Do not have your buddies friend weld it in the driveway with his buzz box welder!

Have it welded and continue full speed ahead.

9. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

Man I'm glad I don't live where you do. My '95 F350 has 273,000mi and NO RUST. :drinkup:

-Phillip

10. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Fix that crack and sell the truck quick....:eek: