1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

95' E350 runs like garbage

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Willy-D8, May 1, 2005.

1. Willy-D8

Willy-D8 Member

I have a 95 e350 box truck with the 351 v8 that refuses to idle properly. Last season, as I use the truck only to delivery in the spring/summer, the truck would idle fine for the most part. The truck will fluctuate between like 400 to 1000 rpm a few times then stall when I lift my foot off the gas pedal. It's starts a little hard but will run with the gas pedal slightly depressed.I replaced the fuel filter and it was extremely dirty. I'm thinking the fuel injectors are clogged. When running down the road it doesn't seem to run on all the cylinders all the time either. To further complicate things I had it scanned for codes and nothing came up and no check engine lights are on. I'm going to drain and try to flush the fuel tank. Any help/advise anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

First thing I would check out is the Idle air control motor (I think that is what Ford called them)
    It's attached to the throttle body up by the throttle plate and it controls the rpm's at idle by controlling how much air bypasses the throttle plate with a little screw driven plunger.

locate it and unplug it, start the engine, and see if anything changes.
    If it runs the same as before than you probably located the problem.
    You will cause a service engine soon light to come on when you run the engine with it unplugged.

If this is your problem then unscrew it and clean any carbon that might have built up in the hole that it fits into, and put it back in and see if the problem is corrected.

There are many other conditions that could cause poor idle so don't just start throwing parts at it, so with that said..........If this doesen't correct the problem than see if you can have it tested before replacing it.