1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

95 e350 diesel wont start

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by sledbum, Apr 18, 2005.

1. sledbum

sledbum Junior Member

I have a 1995 E-350 with the 7.3 diesel. I started the truck and moved it to the street in order to get another vehicle out of the garage. While the truck was in the street Idling it shut down. I tried to restart it and it would not start. The wait to start light does not come on. The engine will crank over but not show any signs of starting. I have another truck with a 7.3 diesel and bought a power programmer for it. This unit also has a diagnostic feature to read the codes. When I hook up this unit to the van it reads error cannot communicate.

2. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

the programmer will only work with the truck its installed on , so you can only use it on one truck. check for fuel . a diesel only needs air and fuel to run. check all the fuses , make sure every thing is getting power. sounds like an electrical problem if your not getting the ,wait to start light. maybe a relay burned out..

3. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I'm assuming that you are talking about the super chip programmer with the OBDII scan tool built in.
    The scanner feature of the programmer should work on any ford 7.3.
    I have used mine on a 2001 e350 with the V10 and also on my dad's old 2001 f150 with the gas engine.

If you plug it in to the OBDII port and turn on the key, the programmer will power up, say VIN locked, and ask you if you want to scan for codes.

If it doesn't turn on with the key then you do not have power at the diagnostic terminal.

If there is no power at the diagnostic terminal then its a good bet that you have a blown fuse or stuck relay.

This is probably related to the no start condition.
    Check your fuses, as BNC SERVICES suggested.

4. sledbum

sledbum Junior Member

I plugged the scanner in , turned the key on, & the scanner read, error-can not communicate. I have checked all the fuses under the dash and under the hood, I've also checked the fusable links at the starter relay. What other relays are there and where are they located??? Thanks for the help....

5. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

where you at in illinois? ill have some more info on the truck later tonight hopefully..

6. sledbum

sledbum Junior Member

I'm in Elgin. And I appreciate all the help/info you can give me.

7. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Hi Sledbum, I am in Rockford, IL. I belong to a diesel group called Midwest oil burners (M.O.B.). We have a few members in your area. Go to www.midwestoilburners.org Look for a guy that goes by "nevrnf" he is in Elgin and is very well versed in the PSD.
    The PSD needs Air, Fuel, and Electricity to run. Less then 9.5v and the computer will shut it down. No oil pressure it will not run. No fuel, no run either.
    Does your tach register when you crank the engine over? It should register 200-300 rpm while cranking. If not you need a Cam Position Sensor. (This is my first guess.)
    Are you getting any smoke out of the tailpipe while cranking? What color smoke? No smoke = no combustion.
    Make certain your battery is fully charged.
    Got fuel, good fuel?
    How is the oil level? If you have been cranking it over more then 10-12 times you will most likely need to top off the high pressure pump oil reservoir.
    There are only three things that will cause your symptoms; Bad CPS, Bad IDM, No fuel, No oil pressure.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  8. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Add bad fuel heater which in turn blows the fuse that also runs the PCM to that list.

9. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Oh yeah I forgot about the ol fuel heater. Isn't that maxi fuse #20?

10. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Might be #22