1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

95 dodge

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by postman11, Dec 18, 2008.

1. postman11

postman11 Junior Member

I own a 95 doge ram 1500 4x4 with a 5.2 engine. I am looking to put a plow on there. First i was wondering if this could handle a 7.0 blade. And if anyone had any advice on what blade to throw on. Any advice would be appreciated, i usually throw blades of 2500 or f250's so I'm unsure about it only being a half ton. thank you

2. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

It will be fine with a fisher 7.5 MM2

3. postman11

postman11 Junior Member

should i enhance suspension? ive never used one but anyone who uses poly blades what yall think? good or bad.

4. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

I think youd be fine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3rPusV6e8Y&feature=channel_page this guy looks like he has a 8 foot something v blade on the front of that dodge and it looks like a half ton. EDIT its a 9'2 v blade on a half ton it says in his comments in a different video, it must be beefed, but Im sure your dodge could handle it. I've got a 7'6 western unimount on a gmc yukon its too heavy but it handles it aight. Put some weight in the back though.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  5. postman11

postman11 Junior Member

alright thanks guys.

6. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

I've got an 8' Western Pro-Plow on my 94' 1/2ton. You'll need a heck of alot of ballast and load range d tires would be prefered.

7. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

I should also add that it would be wise to add a p/s cooler if the truck doesn't have one. Another tid bit to do would be to replace the factory tranny cooler with the biggest RV cooler you can find, also drill out the drain back valve in the lines in order to increase the fluid flow rate; enhancing transmission cooling.

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

You need to do a bit of improvement to a Dodge half ton to plow with over a 7'5 LD if you want the truck to last any time- a V is out of the question- the suspension was not designed to hold that much weight. Tranny lines, tranny cooler, PS cooler (doubt it is necessary), Timbrens in the front, ballast (Behind the rear wheels, not over them). Just because someone else does it, or you see it on Youtube, don't assume it works- there are alot of idiots on Youtube (remember all the juvenile delinquents posting videos of themselves during break ins and robberies then getting arrested????)

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

You need to do a bit of improvement to a Dodge half ton to plow with over a 7'5 LD if you want the truck to last any time- a V is out of the question- the suspension was not designed to hold that much weight. Tranny lines, tranny cooler, PS cooler (doubt it is necessary), Timbrens in the front, ballast (Behind the rear wheels, not over them), load range D tires definatly.

Just because someone else does it, or you see it on Youtube, don't assume it works, works well, or works for long- there are alot of idiots on Youtube (remember all the juvenile delinquents posting videos of themselves during break ins and robberies then getting arrested????) and alot of lucky people.

10. postman11

postman11 Junior Member

7'5 LD?? Also whats the difference with load range D tires?

11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I started plowing with a '96 Dodge 1/2 ton and a 7.5' MM1 RD (RD vs LD or Regular Duty and Light Duty - the RD is heavier than the LD). It had passenger tires (Load Range - C). Load Range D is an 8-ply tire (C is 6-ply) and usually recommended for loads such as a sander. The issue I had with the Dodge was I kept having repair to the front end suspension - shocks, ball joints) till I bought a one ton to save money.

12. postman11

postman11 Junior Member

hah. yea i know how that is.. now that im thinking alot more about it. im thinking of just cowboying up and buying a 1 ton chevy