1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

95 dodge ram actuator.. or housing?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by kandklandscape0, Oct 5, 2007.

1. kandklandscape0

kandklandscape0 Senior Member

no one can seem to figure this one out.... however last year plowing our actuator fork kept going out, it would quit working and grind all up.... we replaced it 4 times! YES 4 times, lots of dough to be spent in about 10 min of the part working. we replaced the actuator and the fork 4 times. the vacuum is great, all the lines are all new!

we believe the housing is bent? is that possible? anyone else have this problem? our ratller clip keep going bad to, along with u joints. i mean something has to keep making it go bad?

it is a 1995 dodge ram 4x4 1500 5.9

2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Was there a problem with the engagement, as in delayed, when the forks were new even? The one time I bent a fork it was because one of the vacuum lines had gotten pinched and the vacuum was not enough to shift it quickly. In turn it would be half engaged when you went to accelerate and try to jump out of engagement. I replaced the fork and it had the same symptom so I searched farther and found the pinched line. I think it was the line with the breather filter on it where the system draws in it's air. Now this is pertaining to an 85 but I imagine the system still is pretty much the same. I have a 96 now but I haven't looked closely at it. Another thought... Are the bearings alright at those those inner axle ends? I think there is a pilot bearing in one axle end at that joint. You might hook up a Mighty Vac to the vacuum servo and see if it works properly. Not mounted on the tube. Mine also had a slight bend in the shift motor shaft and that held up the shift sometimes. That probably happened when the fork bent. Have you replaced the motor yet?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  3. kandklandscape0

motor has been replaced, new front axles, u joints, vacuum lines, forks etc. all new parts inside except the housing.... we got tired of getting stuck since it kept going out of 4x4 and then would not work because the plasticclips melted on the fork, we just welded it and have had no problems. BUT we want to fix it the right way and not worry about it breaking anymore.

the vacuum is good, we checked everything and we always make sure we are at a complete stop before we put it into 4x4.... this is a on going problem with this truck, since last year.

4. streetsurfin'

I had thoughts of my housing being bent too but it all worked well after exchanging the motor and fork. Maybe it is in your case. Have you thought of trying an axle truss?

5. kandklandscape0

we thought it would be the actuall axle assembly (trus)? or the housing. we do not want to put anymore money in the truck seeing it has 210k... we put around 800$ in it to fix this problem so far, and we do not want to put more into it UNLESS we know the exact problem. is there a way to see if the axle truss is bent?

6. streetsurfin'

A truss is a brace added to the under side of the axle assembly to give it rigidity. It has a sort of skid plate looking piece that attaches to the pumpkin and beams or bars that attach to the outer ends of the tubes. You see them on off road trucks. Not sure if it would help. You would have to do some research on it but I don't think they are but a couple hundred bucks. I can understand not wanting to put much more into it at this point. There is a member here who seems to be a pretty involved Dodge mechanic. Maybe he will catch this thread. I don't recall his username.

7. festerw

festerw Senior Member

8. kandklandscape0

fester w, we were going to get one of these to! however, after thinking about this after replacing the rattler clip about 3 times already the noise still comes from up front on the left axle. you replace the rattler clip then 2 weeks later it starts making the noise. when you come to a stop sign/light it makes the noise.

got off track here from my orignial post, but we are looking into geting the posi lock. found it on ebay cheaper though.

9. kandklandscape0

10. ramitall

ramitall Junior Member

I hve worked for dodge for 9 years and have only seen 1 bent axle housing.It ws bent so bad the axles where grinding inside of the housing but it still whet in and out of 4whl with no problems.the shafts at the actuator are designed so one rides on the other to keep them in line.I have seen a problem like yours before it was the vent for the actuator was plugged.someone did motor work and thought it was a vacumn line and plugged it.

11. kandklandscape0

ramitall, the line has been vac tested. however we installed a new one, well needed to make one, but the line is still new and still connected. i mean it is doing fine being welded but do not want the weld to break, hope i can fix it the right way is what i should say.

now as far as the grinding noise, it is from the rattler clip. the mechinc replaced it 3 or 4 times already. after 2 weeks it is making the same noise, almost like the brake pads are coming off, that kind of noise. it sounds like a rattle snake to be exact.

12. ramitall

ramitall Junior Member

vacumn testing is differnt then the vent .they use the same lines but your switch on the transfer case switches the lines from vacumn to vent.if the vent is plugged the actuator wont move all the way.causing 4whl to kick in and out.if you hook up a vacumn gauge to line lines you should have vacumn on one line and it should drop to nothing when you switch back to two whl.if it hold any vacumn that is your problem.