1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

95 Dodge 3500 Tranny issue

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by coachglynn, Feb 27, 2003.

1. coachglynn

coachglynn Junior Member

I had the tranny rebuilt on my 1995 dodge 3500 dually, with auto. about a month ago. Then lost reverse again. The guy replaced the converter and fixed the reverse. Drove it home only to have it crap out again. We towed it back to the shop and he said the brand new converter had gone bad again. Does anyone know what might cause this to happen. Oh yeah right before the tranny let go again the abs and ebrake lights came on then the truck died. I restarted it and the truck would not go into gear. Please help.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

PM or e-mail John DiMartino,he's the Dodge trans guru.He have the answers for you.

3. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

bad torque converter

I have a 94 cummins turned up engine. I replaced the torque converter with a double clutch after market one from Precision Power Injection in Kokomo IN. B&D I think is the name. NP sence that was done. I tow with it and also plow snow with same truck. They did the total tranney rebuild. I was happy with work, cost me some money.

Dave

4. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

I had a 95 Dodge 3500, quad,4x4,auto,cummins. Trashed the tranny 4 times in 50,000 miles just pulling lawn mowers around. Never put a plow on it. We did turn up the pump though. Did not tell the dealer this. Traded for a 97 2500 quad, 5 spd. Traded it off for 2 - 2001 quad 2500s. 1 with auto and 1 with 5 spd. Love em! Pushed a ton of snow with them. Main problem seemed to be the Torque Converter burning up which then caused more internal damage.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

The Dodge trannies aren't all that bad.All our Dodge's have stock auto's,and none have been replaced yet.350,000 K on mine,at over 350 HP.The stock torque convertor leaves a lot to be desired,but will last if taken care of.

There are lots of good aftermarket companies who can make these things pretty much bulletproof.

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Coachglynn, it is tough to guess at the problem,but the single disc TC Dodge uses rarley fails unless there is hydraulic problems,or the owner has a Cummins and has added HP and not modified the trans to handle it..Just a wild guess here is you have a cross leak in the valve body,or case to valve body.This cross leak may have partially applied reverse while going forward.:( . This could have been the cause of the original failure.,and the second failure before they caught it. Cross leaks are usually only a problem on high HP trucks like mine,since we run high line pressures,we get more cross leaks.Setup is critical on these trannys,many are out of spec right from Chrysler. If you want an expert opinion or help,you can Call Bill Kondolay at DTT toll free at 1866-504-4002. He will help you.

7. coachglynn

coachglynn Junior Member

Thanks John I'm going to call my tranny guy and ask him about what you said. The truck is still at his shop. Thanks again.
    Jimmy