1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

95 Dodge, 2500, 4x4

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by mxz600, Jan 30, 2009.

1. mxz600

mxz600 Junior Member

When I'm cruising at 45-50 with the plow on, sitting as low as I can allow. I get some sort of steam rolling in front of the plow lights. Oil pressure good, temp. good, smells like ATF or oil but there is nothing in the front of the truck leaking and no fluids are low. The only thing wet underneath is the transfer case and that isn't that big of a spot. As soon as I stop the steam goes away and I can't see where it's coming from. Anyone have this problem? I'm really stumped since none of the fluids are low.
    Thanks,
    Jay

2. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

Have you checked your coolant level? I would keep a close eye on all fluid levels. You might also want to check your radiator cap.

3. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

This may sound stupid but could it be condensation from the lights melting the snow that hits them? My plow will do this but I don't think I would see it at 40mph. At this speed it would be very difficult to imagine what could come out from your truck, and shoot far enough to the front to then come up over the plow lights. The lights are pretty far forward of any fluid containing compartments.

4. mxz600

mxz600 Junior Member

It's crazy, all the fluids are topped off. I thought it was "snow fog" at 1st, but I can smell something burning for sure. With 450,000 miles on it, I am pretty attentive to sounds and smells coming from it. This one one has me stumped.

Jay

5. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

was is snowing or raining ? its the wind off your plow I get that on the way to and from my lots on the highway

is it hitting the windshield ?

if your fluids are all topped off nothing else I can think of

6. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

My 94 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 5.9L burns oil like a b***h when I work it, any chance the wind shifted and you saw the tail pipe smoke? Only other thing i can come up with is possible valve cover leak burning on the manifolds. You said it smelled like oil or ATF, they smell different when burnt I would pull tranny dipstick smell it see if that's what you smelled. At least that way maybe you can determine which it was might make it easier to diagnose.

7. mxz600

mxz600 Junior Member

Not tailpipe smoke, happens on different days and different roads, and it's after the truck has warmed up, not just after working it by plowing. Has a small valve cover leak, but wouldn't that burn all the time? If the truck is just idling, there is no smell or smoke. Trans fluid is not burnt smelling although the trans is acting up a little bit. I'll keep driving it, because nothing is wrong with fluid levels and performance.

Jay

8. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

The smell may be a small leak from the plow as you drive it blows under the truck and gets burned off by tail pipes. (maybe) The condensation you see may just be a coincident as I get the same thing in front of the lights at that speed from how the plow makes the road moisture swirl in front slightly.

Just a thought as I had the problem with the plow leak and smell before and could not find a problem for a while.

9. DODGEing

DODGEing Member

My 97 CTD has A valve cover leak and I smell it every now and then not all the time.

10. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Could it be road salt dust??? After a heavy salting on the hwys there can be residual salt dust left on the road. While driving at night the dust is then refracted by the headlights and moved up by the vacumme created by the blade and the front of the truck. This void of air is the same culprate of overheating issues.

11. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

There is no way that fluid or smoke or steam from your truck could get in front of your plow lights when you are going 45 to 50 mph. Could be snow melting off your lights? As far as the smell, I dunno.

12. MattR

MattR Senior Member

My truck has a valve cover leak and the smoke from that DOES go in front by the lights at that speed. It is not snow or salt residue either, it is a very light tint of blue color to it. Just like the blue smoke from the oil by the valve cover gasket. I do wear glasses and the prescription is up to date, so that is not a factor either :D So yes there is a way that it can happen.

Matt

13. mxz600

mxz600 Junior Member

I guess I will fix the valve cover leak and the small leak on the lift cylinder and go from there.

Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted. Money is tight, so it may take awhile to diagnose the problem
    and get it fixed.

Jay

14. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

In front of your plow lights, at 45 to 50 mph?

15. DODGEing

DODGEing Member

You can fix the valve cover's for around $120.00 or so if you can do the labor your self. I'm going to do mine in the spring and if I remember wright the whole kit was around $100.00 or so on the net, but make sure you get A quality kit you dont want to do it twice. If you can't do it your self remember were all(most of us) feeling the money pinch and with this economy i'm sure there is A mechanic that would be happy to get some work or some extra money.

16. MattR

MattR Senior Member

Yes Sir, that is correct. I noticed it when I picked up the plow truck listed in my sig. Blade was straight, not angled, and up almost all the way. Even had the truck up to 65mph, yet did not notice it once I hit about 60mph. Must have been the way the air went under the plow and hit the engine compartment from underneath and my guess is it drew the smoke from under the hood to the front by the plow instead of towards the back.

My GF was the first to notice the "blue smoke" by the plow lights. Since I just bought it, I pulled over to see what the problem might be and only thing I could see was the leaky valve cover gasket. It happened almost the whole trip home which was 100 miles one way (+/- 1 mile or 2).

Matt

17. mxz600

mxz600 Junior Member

Well, trans fluid level went down so I climbed under the truck and low and behold, the whole underneath of the truck is covered in trans fluid. Wasn't like that a couple weeks ago when I did an oil change. Found a loose hose clamp. Hope that's it. Filled it up and letting it dry out in the garage now. Will test drive it tomorrow and see if the leak is fixed. Smoke in front of the lights might have been burnt trans fluid being sucked up to the front of the truck???

Jay

18. mxz600

mxz600 Junior Member

Replaced the hose from the trans. cooler to the trans. No more leaks. Plowed for 4 hours today and
    no mystery steam in front of the plow lights. It was daylight, so might have missed it. Right now I'm
    pretty confident it is repaired.

Jay

19. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Has this only happened once? More than likely you were following someone with a bad oil/fluid leak of some sort. It coated your lights then when you turned them on it will burn it off. So no matter what speed you were going it was going to smoke. Since you had plow on it must have snowed recently. So the roads are covered with salt and you wouldnt notice oil build up on windshield. But I am sure most of us have followed a car or MXZ600 truck that put millions of little oil drops on windshield. So I bet thats what happened to you.

20. mxz600

mxz600 Junior Member

Happened multiple times. Not following anyone. Only happened around 50-55mph. When I slowed
    down it stopped. Only 1 time plowing since repair, but it's not leaking trans fluid or anything for that
    matter, so I'm hoping she's fixed.

Jay