1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

95 Chevy diesel.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Plowman52, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

I have a 1995 Chevy turbo diesel heavy half. It is a 6 lug truck. My queastion is would this truck beable to haul a 1 yard poly salter?

I have the extra salter laying in the garage and might as well put it to good use?

2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't see why it couldn't do it... Maybe a bit heavy where you need overloads or timbrens but I would give it a shot

3. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

That what I was thinking because in the summer time it hauls a 18 foot tandem trailer with 3 60 inch ztrs fine (I no the center of weight is different)
    But still hauls that fine.

4. dlstelma

dlstelma Member
    from GR, MI

Not sure what the salter and contents weighs, but I would estimate your truck can carry about 1500lbs. I'm sure there's no issue of getting the load to move; it's supporting and stopping that's the issue. I'd be cautious of back and forth, stop and go driving. Does your 18ft trailer have (electric or surge) brakes?

5. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Is it going to be a site truck or were you thinking of running it down the road? It does have a 9.5" 14 bolt semi-floater so you might be ok with an extra leaf or two(probably two), air bags or timbrens. Figure 2,000lbs of salt (struck load) and 1,000lbs for the v-box

6. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

they had six lug 14 bolt semi floaters? Never seen one.

7. NICHOLS LANDSCA

Yep ALL the LD 3/4 tons and HD 1/2 tons (same truck) were 6 lug, I'm talking OBS 88-99 but the Vortec MAX trucks 05-? also have one

8. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

you know now that I think about it, I remember seeing 14 bolts under the LD 2500s, the ones with 6 lugs. So it stands to reason the 1500 diesels would get it too. Oddly enough, I know that while the 1500 and Tahoe/Yuon diesels were 6 lug, all diesel Suburbans were 8 lug, even if they were 1500s.

9. NICHOLS LANDSCA

Yep they just used the 3/4ton platform for the Suburban the only difference was the rear axle. The "1/2ton" used a 14 bolt semi-floater with 3.42 gears, the 3/4 ton used a 14 bolt FF with 3.73's or 4.10's.