1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'95 Chevy 2500 turn signal/brake headache

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cwby_ram, Apr 1, 2014.

1. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Need some help guys. It's a '95 Chevy (truck in sig), bought it back from the guy I sold it to late in the fall. He had backed it into a snow drift and crunched the trailer wiring plug shorting everything. Well, he repaired the wiring at the back, but since that happened whenever the brake pedal is pushed (whenever the brake lights come on) and the left turn signal is on, the signal goes out. Right side functions normally. I've used it all winter simply flashing the left signal manually (up and down with column lever, annoying, but it got the job done). Now that spring is here, I went to get the trailer spruced up, new lights, etc. Plugged it into truck and I've got all kinds of weird stuff.

Isolated the problem to the truck, and i suspect it's related to the turn signal thing. Several of the wires in my trailer lights short to ground it would seem, there's a mess of wires up in there, but from I've traced so far, they seem to be in order.

Also, worth noting is that the third brake light flashes with the signals/hazards.

Sorry for the long post. I've been chasing wires so long, I'm gonna lose it. :dizzy:
    It seems like the most likely suspect is the multi-function switch, but before I go to the expense and time to do that, I was hoping maybe someone has dealt with this before. I don't want to start throwing parts at it in desperation. Thanks, guys!

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like he used the brake signal wire as a brake light or a ground.
    If the third brake light is flashing its gotta be getting signal via backfeeding from improper wiring at the rear. Might start by undoing all the repairs and starting from scratch

3. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Ok, I'll try that, I did notice a green wire that is grounded, which didn't seem right. They used nice different colored wires, but they don't seem to correspond.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ah,,,,,gotta love hillbilly wiring. Unplug that wire first and see what happens

5. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Went to cut it and it just kinda fell off. Didn't change anything though. I did however take the 4 pin factory connector apart, essentially cutting out the back of the truck. That did make the turn signal brake thing go away. So I think I've got the issue isolated to the back. Gonna start picking it apart, might just cut the whole thing apart prior to that so I can see if the wires do what they're supposed to, then put everything back together the way it is supposed to be. What a headache!