1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

95 Chevy 1/2 ton will it hold up

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DAZ982500, Feb 23, 2008.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

I own this truck has a Western 7 1/2' Ultra mount Standard on the front end.I use a SnowEx pivot point Tailgate Salter.It holds 400-500lbs of salt.I would like to get a V box for the rear end.I have timbrens on the back and 1 extra leaf spring.Can I put a v box on the this truck and if so which one.If not what would be another option to hold more salt if possible.

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I must say no. With a Vbox you would be well over the GVWR of that truck. It could very quickly lead to premature frame failure, brake failure, etc. And if the DOT in your area are a bunch of sticklers, you could get popped with a very big fine. If you are going this route, get at least a 3/4 or 1 ton for a Vbox. Im not so sure on what could help to hold more salt

3. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

No just because it will "fit" doesn't mean it will be safe. Just because you beef up the suspension you can't legally put more weight then the truck was built to hold. I have seen guys pulled over for being overweight with v-boxes in suburbs that the cops seem to have nothing better to do.

4. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

There is alot of difference between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton Chevy. In the 3/4 ton the brakes, axles, wheels, t-bars, springs, frame, transmission and even the tires (8 ply) are all heavy duty. If you need to carry more weight, you really need a HD truck. I have a 96 K2500 HD reg cab with an 860 SPEEDWING and a meyer spreader. My front axle GAWR is 4300# and the rear is 6000#. You should weigh your truck sometime it's loaded and check the GAWR sticker on the drivers door. I'm sure you will be surprised just how easy it is to overload a 1/2 ton truck. Hope this is helpful, Al