1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'95 Bronco Eddie Bauer

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jnxnyc, Dec 30, 2010.

1. jnxnyc

jnxnyc Junior Member
    from NYC

I'm sure everyone has been through this before but I have to ask. I own a gas station and am sick and tired of getting raped by plowing fees :gunsfiring:......Found and bought a used '95 Bronco Eddie Bauer. In 85%-90% condition. Small issues, no running boards (who cares), can't open rear gate (I care a little bit), and no spare tire gate on the rear, for the bargain discount of $1,000.00 had 2 full size spares in rear, seats in bad condition but nothing a towel can't cover. Brought my mechanic and checked it out tranny and engine are still in excellent condition. The only thing is 4x4 isn't working. Mechanic said he can fix that and its probably just a motor problem for the 4x4.

I've come across some new plows and narrowed it down to Meyers, Western, or ???
    I alo had someone offer me a Meyers plow with mount and accessories for 1,200 but haven't had a chance to check it out.

Any suggestions on what problem areas to lok for on the used setup? Any ideas on new? Or if in my area of NYC and someone is willing to sell me a setup I would be more than willing to check it out.

I got screwed with the past storm, I picked up the Bronco 12/23 and haven't had a chance to register it let a lone get a plow............and then WHAMMO! :gunsfiring:Sunday to Tuesday afternoon I was swimming in almost 2 ft of snow and 5ft high snow banks on my lot. I ended up paying a guy to do it again.

I would appreciate any help because I want to get it set up ASAP as this will be my daly driver also (8 miles a day)

Happy New Year everyone and thanks in advance! ussmileyflag

2. bronco91

bronco91 Senior Member
    from wyckoff

Hey if u need anything I have a bunch of broncos. I also plow with one right now. I'm in nj so if u need any help call me at 201-891-4495. Ask for Joe. We sell plow and fix them to.

3. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Looks like you'll be getting "raped" on repair bills as well. Maybe you'll learn.

4. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

First let me welcome you to Plowsite, Maybe you should move this thread to the home owners area, next with saying that we comercial plowers rape people with our charges is wrong, I'll say that we charge according to the market in the area that we work in. Good luck with you truck and I hope you don't go out and find any accounts to rape people.

5. jnxnyc

jnxnyc Junior Member
    from NYC

LOL I didnt mean to offend anyone about being "raped" on plow fees. It's the local guys around the area know that I have no choice and they take advantage of it.

As to repairs, I could crae less as long as the truck runs well. Small mior things dont matter much to me. for a 1k car I got a great deal considering the the condition it was in.

And Joe I will be calling you either tomorrow or on the weekend. My name is also Joe and hopefully I can get things rolling along. going to dmv tomorrow. How does the Bronco do on the plowing jobs? My lot is about 100ft x 250ft. but since I am located in between tall buildings the snow drifts are ridiculous sometimes.

I've looked on cragislist and found some really rusty plows. I've also seen a lot of rust bucket trucks going for a lot more money.

6. jnxnyc

jnxnyc Junior Member
    from NYC

How do I move the thread? I figured since I was going to plow a commercail business I would put it here. If I did it wrong I apologize.

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

ALL plow guys reguardless of where they live dont rape customers
    You on the other hand owning a gas station have NO room to talk about raping people

good luck with the bronco and hope it does the job for you

8. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

The administrators have to move it you can't and I wasn't offended. I have been on this site for awhile now & was giving you a heads up because there will be people on here that are going to defend their actions right, wrong or indifferent, by the way my name is Joe also.

9. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

If all you are going to do is push your lot, I wouldn't think you had to tag the truck, but that may be a state thing (wouldn't have to in Ky).

before I bought a new plow for a 1K truck, I would try to find a used plow, or a beater with a plow....

10. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

I think you will find that a light duty plow that will fit your size truck will not give you the desired results of getting up hard pack and a clean scrape. A convince store/gas station runs double cost in my bidding because of the time and problems encountered. My experience is that a 3/4 ton truck and 800 lb. plow is required for you type location-and patience working around the customers-gas trucks-tank lids, ect.

After the 1 st. year I think you may gain appreciation of the pricing structure. But it does work-I have a local owner/operator of a store the spent $43,000 and does his and 5 other stations-but I have to say, he is certainly not on the cheap side.

Good luck and you will find this site to have great information, not only for plowing but for repair.

11. jnxnyc

jnxnyc Junior Member
    from NYC

I really am impressed at the quick replies and impressed by the "plower" community. For me the cost of $700 for every 3 inches is quite steep in cost. I had 23 inches avg in my station and the cost for this past storm was around 5K...and that was with me haggling on the price! I've spoken to many other station owners and they are no where close to my cost. And that was WITHOUT salting. There are only about 6-10 plowing companies willing to come to my station and they all work together (sub-contracting) and know I have no choice. Other stations in the area all have their own plows.

As far as myself "raping" others I think many people are mis-informed. As a station owner I only make on avg .091 cents a gallon. most vehicles use 9 - 13 gallons.Do the math and I average a profit around $1 per car.Nnow deduct operating costs, salary, maintenance, etc.( 60%) and I only make .40 cents/ car.

I don't know what the operating costs of running a plow business is and understand its a seasonal business but taking advantage of someone who isn't rich like our A-hole mayor, it's almost the whole months profit in one plow cycle.

I hope I don't sound argumentative but I feel a lot of people need to understand that just because someone owns a gas station doesn't mean we make $5 per gallon.

I wish I did..............;)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  12. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

I don't rape clients with fees, more like legalized robbery...:laughing:

13. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Move your station to Lexington Ky and you can get your lot "cleaned" for about 35.00 by the land scaping companies, you may have to do alot of cleanup work and shovel a path to your door, but its 35.00....

besides we never get that kind of snow, not anymore anyway, heck its going ot be 60 here today and rain...

I did not think that stations made that much off fuel, I thoug it was more around 5-15 cent per gal, maybe that is regional. I know here they make nothing off the gas but its there to get you in the door to buy overpriced candy.pop. beer, cigs and lottery tickets...

14. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

I worked at a gas station about 7 years ago the owner was gettin 4 cents per gallon sold the money maker in stations is (goodies) pop, candy. gum, etc...

15. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

All I can say is that my name is NOT Joe and I don't rape people.

16. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

At that price they should hall the snow away, blow dry the pavement, and buy a lot of fuel from you. Obviously they are taking advantage of you. After you get your Bronco fixed up, you will find that it is a great vehicle to plow your station with. My first plow truck was a '81 Bronco. I mostly did drives, but did on a donut shop/gas station for about $40 a plow. Now it would be a little more, but not $700 for every 3 inches. I would say thats more extortion price then anything.

17. 01lariat

01lariat Member

Wow that is expensive, it seems. Bronco is fine for what you need. Electric touch 4x4 on the Bronco? I'd ditch the hubs for a warn manuals on that year. If the transfer case doesn't engage it could be a fuse to the electric motor. At worst it isn't too much to replace. I have one good hub left for that vintage of Bronco. Came off my 95 F150. they are expensive. I went with warn hubs.
    As for a plow. Something like 7.5' plow or slightly larger wouldn't be bad. Take some time to find out your local dealers brands they carry, and go from there looking for used plows per them brand names. Not the best time to be shopping, but your savings would be greater than added cost of seasonal prices. Good luck to you...

18. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

"raped" is the proper term if you are paying that much - unless your gas station is one of those huge truck stops, in which case the bronco won't cut it.

and all the guys taking offense to the "raped" comment never once think anything they were ever quoted or purchased was overpriced. :dizzy:

19. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

just as an fyi, any plow off of a 92-95 f-150 should bolt right up to your bronco, the bronco's and 150's are the same from the drivers seat forward.

you might want to carry some weight in the rear to help with traction. and might want a set of wings, if you need to carry the snow across the lot.

good luck, and talk nice to that old bronc' and she'll treat ya good...... my fathers still plowing with his 77... 28 years with a plow and still going strong :)

20. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

actually its 150/broncos through '96 that will work. gives you an extra year....