1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

95-96 Bronco for plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brett K, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Brett K

Brett K Member

I am getting tired of having to wrench on the old plow truck while lying in a foot of snow. RIght now, I'm running a mid 70s Chevy stepside with a 25 year old Western power angle. It has been a great set-up, but time for something a little more current that I can use as a daily driver.

I am thinking of looking for a clean low mile late model Bronco. What options should I look for? What size plow and what weight range should I look for? ANything I should do to one to prepare it for plow duty?

I am considering a 7'6" Western steel or poly, both weigh about 540lbs.

Any advice?

2. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

bronco fan

got the smaller broncoII's in my fleet but they are all the about the same pro's and cons on both so what are you going to do with it first ( what type plowing)... :waving:

wing with.jpg

3. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

I have plowed with 2 Bronco's, A 92 with the 302 motor and my current one.
    The 351 has much more power when plowing than the smaller motor. However the 302 was better on gas. I get 10 around town and 13 to 15 on the highway doing 65 to 70.
    I like it for plowing because it turns really well and I get in to tight spots with it.
    Mine has 120,000 miles on it and runs great. Watch for rust in the tailgate and the rear 1/4 panels if you look at any.

4. Brett K

Brett K Member

I'll be doing residential plowing for about 5-10 places, but a few of the residences are long gravel roads. I just wanted to know if a Bronco could handle it. The folks on the Ford Enthusiast forum seemed a little bent out of shape that I wanted to put a plow on a precious Bronco :rolleyes:

Oh, and I have read somewhere about front cumple zones in the frame in the newer Broncos. Is this a cause for concern in installing and using a plow?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I got my eye on a 93 Supervisors Bronco 130k on it, came from Ga.
    No rust at all,I bet it has not been in 4x4 more then 12 hours total in it's life.
    It has a full strobe bar with take down lights on it too.
    It has the 5.0 engine tho.

6. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

The only things I can think of is swapping out the front springs and adding a better trans cooler. The stock front springs are not Heavy Duty Enough.
    I have tried the air bags in the coil springs and they popped after about a year. It was just as easy to get heavy duty coils.
    BTW I think Broncos/Blazers are the best vehicles for plowing residential driveways.

Hope this helps,
    Jason

7. trackdog90

trackdog90 Junior Member

I would not hesitate in buying a full sized Bronco. I had mine for 13 years and over 100k miles and never let me down. You'll need the 351 and beefed up front end, it will take a 7 1/2 foot Western or Fisher no problem. Go for it.

8. jeffwoehrle

jeffwoehrle Member

I think the full size Bronco makes the ultimate plow truck. I agree with the posts about beefing up the front springs and the transmission oil cooler. Two cheap mods that make a world of difference. 351 is better, 302 is workable.

Knew someone who dropped a 460 in one. Pushed like a bulldozer...

Had a blast with mine and never pulled any punches. Ran like a champ.

9. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Had a '86 FS bronco with the 300/6...best...economical plow truck I ever owned.

10. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

A buddy of mine uses a 1992 bronco XLT with a 7.5 meyers. I might buy it off him to do driveways. That rig is sweet. He dropped a 5.0 in it with a new tranny, transfer case and rear end in it 20,000 miles ago. Its go 200,000 on it. He also put F-250 springs and air lift bags on the front end. It only has rust on the wheel wells, other wise is nice and clean. I think he wants $6000 for it. Sound like a good price?

11. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

I currently have an 88 Bronco with a 7' western plow.... Other then the tailgate problems broncos have i would say they are nice short wheel base plow trucks.... I just wish the moron would have done maintenance on mine before i bought it.... I also know now (how) to check one out top to bottom or i would have passed on this one.

Gas mileage would be my only complaint with the 351w but it will push a pile.