1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

95 7.3 power robbing hissing

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by sparksrides, Dec 6, 2008.

1. sparksrides

sparksrides Senior Member

i have a 1995 f 250 with the 7.3 psd, when i start the truck i get this hissing sound that seam's like it's coming from the exhaust like a by pass or some thing. it usually only last about 5 seconds and only does it on first start when the motor is cold weather it is cold out side or not, and if i shut the truck off and the motor is still cold it will do it again when i restart the truck. when it is real cold and i don't plug the truck in it will last a lot longer, i have to warm the truck and shut it down and restart to get it to stop. when driving with the hissing it robs all the truck's power. when i plug the truck in (any time below 40 degrees) it is the usual 5 second's . i seen another truck do the same but it did it the hole time it idled on cold days and only stopped when i revved the motor. it is driving me crazy and my mechanic doesn't seem to think it that big of a problem, i don't think he knows what the problem is or how to fix it ether that or he is lazy. any help would be greatly appreciated ps sorry about the long post just trying to explain the problem :realmad::confused:

2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Im not sure what it is either... but my 1995 psd F-350 does the EXACT same thing! It's annoying but not an issue is what I was told as well.
    If you find a fix for it let me know!

3. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

I had the same thing happening last year on my '99 7.3L F550, drove me nuts. Sounded like an exhaust leak. Was worse sounding when you passed things that made the sound rebound to you. Anyway, I told the dealership what was happening and they said nothing was wrong. You would figure for $95/hr they would be able to figure it out. So I had one of my guys throttle the engine, while I was up front on top and underneath the engine. Well low and behold within 5 minutes, there it was. Looking at the motor from the front on the left side, there is a 1/4" dia tube running from the front of the header (manifold) up to the front of the motor to a sensor. This tube had rusted out and litteraly broke in half. So everytime you hit the gas air was escaping from the header out of this tube making the hissing sound and robbing power. So, went to ford, bought a new one and it fixed that hissing sound. Unfortunately I don't remember what it was called. Hope this helps.

Chris

4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

that is the exhaust backpressure valve. EBPV. Causes the motor to heat up quicker when it is cold.

5. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

I have a 2000 f350 coming into the shop next week for that same complaint ...

6. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Guys. No big deal. You can unplug it, It is right infront of the turbo on the driver's side. It is a two wire plug. Unplug it and zip tie it up. Takes two seconds.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=69689

Link to another thread about the same issue.

7. sparksrides

thanks a lot you guys nailed it, this site is great very helpful info

8. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Yep common and easy to fix.

9. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Sparksrides.....if you want your truck to warm up properly as designed keep the EBVP plugged in, that's what it's there for.

If you just can't stand the noise then unplug it, but for the majority of us that live in cold climates it is something the 7.3 should have functional.

10. sparksrides

i just unplugged it and no more hissing. most of the time it only last five seconds but some times it seems like it sticks and drives me crazy when i am driving. another time when plowing it started out of no where hour's after start up. i plug my truck in as much as i can so warm up is not a issue. will leaving it unplugged effect me in any other way?

11. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

No, It will just take a bit longer to warm up. I have been running both my trucks with out it for over a year. I havent even seen any bad effects.

12. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

I would agree with that. I just like my truck to not take forever to warm up, my high idle on my chip helps as well.

13. sparksrides

when i plug my truck in it is warm to start the heat is warm and the truck starts right up. i have another question a little off topic but i am adding a trans temp gage and was wondering if i can get away with out welding a bong into the trans pan. can't i just sandwich the sensor between to rubber gaskets much like the after market drain bolt they sell

14. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

You can also set up the EBPV as an exhaust brake. I have it setup in my truck on a switch so that it either runs stock with the EBPV doing what the ECM tells it to, or turn it off completely, or switch it to exhaust brake which runs through a foot switch next to the clutch. Can turn it off or on whenever.

15. sparksrides

that exhaust brake thing sounds cool, can you give me details on how you wired it up