1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

95 6.5L question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JayMac, Mar 15, 2010.

1. JayMac

JayMac Member

I have found a truck I want to go and look at. It's a 1995 K3500 SRW standard cab long bed with a 6.5L diesel w/130k . It has a 8.5' Western and a tailgate salter. So here's where you can help. What should I be looking for on this truck. I know that I need to check the frame behind the upper control arms and the plow A-frame and quadrant for cracks. But on the power train I just don't know. I've always had 350s to work on. Any suggestion or comments are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks JayMac
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Check the frame pretty thoroughly for cracks. As you mentioned, right behind the UCA brackets. Check the whole section from the UCA brackets down to where the frame straightens to go under the cab. Also where the front diff brackets attach to the frame. And right behind the cab, between the cab and bed.

I'm no help on the 6.5.
  3. JayMac

JayMac Member

Here's the update. I looked the truck over and for it's age and usage it's a nice truck and seems to be worth the money. He claims that the motor is solid and the trans has been rebuilt within the last 3yrs. It's plowed for 3 seasons and salted one and based on what I saw I believe him. So I've called four mechanics and they're split, 2 good motor, 2 way bad. So I'm torn what to do. What's your thoughts?
  4. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I've heard a lot more negative comments than positive about the 6.5L engine, I looked at a 94 K2500 regular cab about two years ago, the body was mint but it had the 6.5 diesel and different guy's told me to stay away from it. My cousin had a 95 or 96 Silverado 2500 with the 6.5 and that engine lasted seven years from new. So from what I've been told is that the 6.5 will not last as long as the 5.7 will. My 98 K2500 5.7 (350ci) has 414,000 kilometers on it, that would work out to be around 257,000 miles, still runs great.
  5. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

6.5 not bad had 1 in my tow truck but oil line to turbo blew Eng threw a rod ran good could not find a good used 1 so i put a 6.2 in both i would say are work horse's as long as they are maintained :mechanic:
  6. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

bought a 94 with a 6.5l this year, it had a brand new (not rebuilt) engine from factory, with about 20 000km on it, i paid $3000 for the truck, body was in ok condition, no dents, but some rust, and it had the 5 speed manuel transmission. the 6.5l are not going to last great, but most mechanics told me 250 000-300 000 km
  7. JayMac

JayMac Member

I found a few of your post on here about that truck. I've noticed that most people that haven't had one will dog it, the ones that have, have good things to say. It sounds like to me if you can get the PDM cooled the biggest problem is almost solved and keep the oil changed is the biggest thing too. I think this will be a good truck for me I'll put maybe 3k miles on it a year. The truck I have I drive on the week ends so I can keep the tires round, battery charged and the whole thing lubed up. Outside of plowing I don't get a lot of seat time in my truck, which I hate. I'll keep you all posted cause it was hard to find much info on here about the motor. However there are some good forums out there about this motor.
  8. duramax-king

duramax-king Senior Member

6.5 are the only diesel that i've ever run, they make good plow trucks and i've never had an engine or tranny quit on me, these engines i've seen can run upto 600,000 kms if maintained properly, great work trucks. if you don't mind me asking how much does he want for it?
  9. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i am also curious what you are looking at paying
  10. JayMac

JayMac Member

We've agreed on $6000 US so that's $6061.80 Canadian. Thanks for the input all.
  11. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

6.5 did get a very bad reputation due to the PMD failure rate. Dealers replaced the entire injection pump (to gouge factory out of $2500 rather than $400) and most mechanics know nothing about the motor. All you really need to do is move the PMD to a remote cooler and it will last forever. THere are some mods available now to get the 6.5 into stock Duramax territory. It will never compete with a hotrodded D-max, Powerchoke or Cummins, but it can be made to be a heck of a truck for a lot less money.
    My truck has over 170k hard miles, plowing etc. I love it. With the mods I have made so far it is twice the truck it was when I bought it. I have a big turbo on it, and am going to order a computer tune this month. If you were to ride in my truck I can guarantee it would surprise you.
    Like someone else said, people who own them like them, people badmouth them when they have never owned one, just repeating the word of mouth they have heard. That's good though, it keeps the prices down for those of us who appreciate them.
  12. joshg

joshg Senior Member
    from VT

I've not owned one but looked at a used one several times, and did a lot of research about the 6.5TD. I'd say the last post summarizes my findings nicely. It seems there are enough people out there still using them and good online support despite not so many mechnics that are experts.

I decided to go for it but he guy selling the truck I looked at just didn't want to budge on price....so I moved on. Too bad I'd have liked to go diesel.
  13. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

Im looking at the same truck, but 2500. What MPG can you expect out of the 6.5 with normal driving?
  14. JayMac

JayMac Member

Well went thought the first tank and I'm getting about 20mpg. That driving has had about 1/2 highway and 1/2 city. But with 4.10 gears that highway driving may not be helping. I don't know yet.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  15. plowking15

plowking15 Member

I have a 95 6.5 for plowing and doing errands.They can require more maintence, the newer versions have high flow water pumps,double thermostats.Heat will KILL a 6.5. I had two heads replaced on mine, it may have got over 210 degrees once. I had the radiator taken out and fins cleaned,mechanic may have flushed it too. I have had the thermostat changed from 195 to a 180 to keep the operating temps. down. It is not a powerhouse but does ok. Right now I have a service engine light,going to have it scanned,could be my speed sensor on tailshaft of transmission,bad sensor or dirty ground can start to effect my upshifts,trannie was just rebuilt so don't want to hurt it. Another thing to check is the double positive posts on right battery,this can be trouble and throw off voltage meter. I am on a 6.5 forum under same username. Highway driving over 60 mph can get engine reving over 2200 rpms. Put on a 4 inch exhaust and done some other stuff to help it out. I bought a gasser as my primary truck. plowking
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  16. JayMac

JayMac Member

Got 500 miles on it and the the s**t hit the fan it was hard to start but ran fine once started. So of course I wanted to check it out and I started reading on Dieselplace.com about what the trouble could be. I replaced the glow plugs and they didn't help, but actually things got worse. So I thought it was the PMD and I bought one, swapped 'em and things kinda changed for the better, swapped back and things run fine, but then I get a SES light and I checked it, it was code 36. Turns out it's not the PMD but a sticky injector pump. So on Dieselplace.com they're telling me I need to add oil to the fuel. Anyone else heard of this or even do it?
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  17. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

yep i was told to run trans fluid in my diesel fuel to clean injectors and pump also makes better for lionization ( a teacher from
    UTI told this to me ) :mechanic: