1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

95 3500 Diesel, worth buying?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Mark13, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

A friend of a friend (I've met him a couple times briefly) is looking to get a newer dodge and wants his old one gone. I'm saving up to buy a skid steer but I'm curious of your guys thoughts on buying this truck to either flip or make a back up truck out of.

1995 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4.
    12v/ Auto (auto needs a rebuild, said it won't even move and was slipping for well over a year)
    Reg Cab/ 8' Dually Bed
    184/5k
    Said the alternator is also junk or needs a rebuild.
    Didn't say anything else about mechanical problems during a quick phone call. I think the motor is all stock yet.

Said the rockers are rusty and the rear bumper is nearly gone. I forgot to ask what shape the bottom of the doors are in.

He's thinking about $3k for it. Comes with the boss mount, I'm unsure about the wiring or controller.

I have no idea what interior package it has, what shape the tires, brakes, front end components, etc are in. I know the main details and that's it currently.

I know nothing about these things besides the motors are legendary and the transmissions blow in stock form.

What's a good quality trans rebuild run? I've got my dmax for being the race car, I'd want something to take a mildly turned up motor, not care about my gooseneck loaded at 20k, and not break the bank. It doesn't have to hold up to a 500hp+ motor, If I turn it up to 250/300hp that'll be plenty for a work truck.

Rockers and Cab corners hard/costly to repair?

Pics are from 2008, trying to get more current ones.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Seems like it'd be worth offering him $2500, putting a reman trans in it and flipping it.

The engine alone is worth at least $1500, axles and t-case are worth $6-900, maybe some other misc parts and then scrap the rest?

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm kinda leaning towards making it drivable and look nice and putting it out by the road and see what happens. See if I can keep it under $4k to make it appeal to someone and make a little bit of money.

Thought about keeping it if I buy it, but I know I wouldn't be able to leave it alone and before long it would be a play toy and a 2.6 Class pull truck and probably end up getting more modded every year. Just what I need, a $65k+ truck that's nearly useless except for a dozen seconds and 315ft+ at a time. :D

4. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

You might be changing your pull and race vehicles.... Don't underestimate the Old 3500, these engines will make some great power and will impress you with simplicity. Body is EZ .... Front fenders, cab corners, rockers and doors and it will be ready for another 200k.

The trans are not as bad as you think. Its the Cummins fault, way too much tourque at low rpm and a stupid heavy object will create slippage. To me fix the ol truck and make yourself happy every time you fuel up.

The biggest issue with the truck is you will get tired of driving it before it wears out!!!

5. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Seems like a pretty good deal to me. Check the front end good, but I'll bet you could easily get more than $4k for it fixed up a little. (unless I'd be in the market after you fixed it, then $4k sounds great!)

6. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

its probably a 7500 dollar truck in working order depending on rust. Just factor your time in for trying to flip it. Id be worried on buying something that dosent move because you never know how well they go down the road, and with being a dodge of that era probably not that great lol

7. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

if i were you i would do be on it seems like a no brainer to me not alot of miles really and ive been watching the value of these trucks seem to just keep rising thanks to the price of newer diesels and theyre decreasing fuel mileage and how complicated they are. even if you changed your mind youd have no problem getting all your money back and more

8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

there is a guy in Elburn that does a hell of a job on those old 12v rattle box trasmissions. A buddy of mine had one built there. I would have put that pile up against my duramaxs anyday. That think could push!

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

If you could get a name for me, Elburn is a nice little cruise and depending on price I'd consider it.

I'm sure with 6 tires on the ground and some weight that truck would out push my dmax. Not to mention turn probably 50% tighter.

I'm a sub for another company so I don't really need a second truck at all, most I could do is see if he would have work for it or try and get it's own route for next season. Still more registration and inspection costs and I'm sure a truck is more costly to insure then a skid steer. So many choices! Ahh:dizzy:

10. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

I will buy it if you don't. That is a deal. The 12 valve Cummins are hard to beat.

kevlars

11. rebelplow

rebelplow Senior Member

Yeah, I'd buy it to. That's the ideal work truck to pull around my gooseneck dump trailer.

12. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I'll get the name for you.

13. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I would run away from that thing if I were you. Looks like a money pit. Why don't you give me the owners phone number. I will call and tell him how big of a POS it is :D

14. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Thats a sweet looking truck, you dont see too many reg cab duallys. I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend, it would definatly be a deadly plow truck though. my dually hemi is a beast, i couldnt imagine that thing in the snow.

15. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Snatch that thing up, and either drop a Gorand tranny in her or do a NV4500 swap.

16. randomb0b123

from america

this could be an awesome tow truck

17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The reg cab dually part is what kinda made me interested in it, I thought it was a 2500srw until I got more details, seems much more appealing not being a truck you see a lot of driving around.

I'll leave it an auto since I'd put a plow on it. May just do a lightly built trans to keep the cost down. I don't need anything real fancy in it, it's all stock now and probably will remain mostly all stock.

It's got 3.55 gears in it so it may do good but I don't expect it to be anything great. Mileage should be good though.

I should have updated pictures of what shape it's currently in sent to me in the next couple days and we'll go from there.

18. randomb0b123

from america

my 5 speed v10 had 355s it towed very well. it will get good mileage but you will probably become depressed driving it after being in a juiced duramax

19. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Depending what a factory spec trans rebuild vs a somewhat built trans rebuild costs will determine if it gets turned up at all. I have no need for some wild truck, especially since it's not easily able to be detuned like all the new electronically controlled common rail trucks. It may become my daily driver of the 8 mile round trip to and from work, probably pull better mileage then my dmax and save some wear on the "nice" truck.

And there's days where all I want to do is just cruise so it will be perfect for that once it has a muffler. If the thing breaks 200hp I'd be surprised but it should last nearly forever.

20. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Good old 12V's all you need is a flat blade screw driver and a hammer to get some extra horses ot of it...a grinder will get you more......:nod: