1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

94 turbo 6.5 diesel

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CGLC, Dec 6, 2004.

1. CGLC

CGLC Senior Member

I wondering if any of you guys out there have any experience with the 94 2500 base model with a 6.5 turbo diesel w/plow. I don't really know a lot about diesel engines but am looking at this plow truck and was wondering what you guy think. It has 66,191 miles on it and the dealership is asking $8,990. I'm in no rush to buy a vehicle oh ya (myers plow 7.5) What do you think of the price high low any wiggle room? Thanks

Last edited: Dec 6, 2004
  2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Some do not like the 6.5 but I always kinda liked that engine because it rev'ed freely for a diesel. Internally it was a solid engine and it really a improved 6.2. There were some issues with the injector pump because it was the first of its type to be electrically controlled but I am not sure which year it went partially electronic but it did go fully drive by wire in 99. It has more than enough power to plow with and it can with a 4L80E tranny which is sturdy too. If you decide to get it there are a few things you might check or do to it though to further enhance it.

3. matt-max

matt-max Member

we plow with several 6.5td's, but all heavier gvw except my 99tahoe. check it for 6 lug or 8 lug wheels and the front gvw. crank the torsion bars, add timbrens up front and you should be good regardless. 94 was a mechanical pump truck, which i have never had any of, but most seem to prefer them. check out either the dieselpage.com or dieselplace.com for more info

4. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

My brother is a GM Mechanic. I have heard nothing but nightmares about them. A freind of mine had a 1996 k3500 dump truck that he bought new. He ended up doing 2 injection pumps and then a new engine. The second injection pump failed on him when he was in the middle of big snow storm. I am going to stick with my 454

5. intlco

intlco Senior Member

Our Chevy dealer up here does not speak good of those old 6.5 diesel engines cause of the injector pump problems. But, them trucks do have a free replacement warranty on the pumps for 200,000 miles the dealer said.
    Based on the miles you stated, if the truck is in good condition, it's a good price for a diesel.
    It's hard to find one of those Chevy diesels out here with so few miles for that price. Most guys hang on to them trucks until 200,oook here.

6. jrodgers

jrodgers Senior Member

Just had my injector pump replaced on my 00 3500hd at about 60,000. If it starts having problems like it is running out of gas all the time get it in!

7. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

When they went to electronic pumps, they started having problems until they were worked out. (kinda like 200k warranies on Dmax injectors) The mechanical ones were okay.

8. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

No, 94 was electronic.

9. faughtj

faughtj Member
    from NE Ohio

I have a 95 K-3500 with dump bed & the 6.5TD. It actually has quite a bit of power, esp. if you replace the catalytic converter with a straight pipe (for "testing" purposes). The warranty on the injection pump is actually 11 years / 120,000 miles from the initial in-service date. So, if it's a 94, it might still have the warranty depending on the in-service date. A Chevy service dept. could look up the VIN and tell you for sure. The other common failure is the PSD electronic control for the injection pump. It's mounted on top of the engine and is subjected to lots of heat and fails due to that. You can make or buy a remote mounting bracket with heat sink that generally solves that problem. Go to www.thedieselpage.com for lots of helpful info.

10. faughtj

faughtj Member
    from NE Ohio

Almost forgot.. you might want to make sure you can either repair the engine yourself or locate a good diesel mechanic. The reason I say this is that most technicians / mechanics don't work on diesel engines. I have a garage that I take my other vehicles to that does great work.. but just mention "diesel" and that's the end of that discussion. They can work on other systems in the truck, but anything related to the engine is off limits to them. I've found this at other places too. Even authorized Chevy dealerships are lucky if they have one knowledgeable diesel tech.

Also, with resale value - it seems like used Dodge/Cummins & Ford/PSD get a premium over a comparable truck with a gas engine. The GM/6.5TD seems to be worth less than a comparable GM gas truck, so keep that in mind when making your offer. Also, if you're plowing with it, make sure you plug in the block heater overnight. Last winter, we had lots of really cold weather, and my truck was *very* hard to start, but plug it in for a few hours and it would start with no problem.

11. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

CGLC -

You can also check out this link.

http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/

In '94 the injector pump wasn't as electronically filled with parts as the later models. I know that my '97 is fly by wire and it is just as advanced, electronically, as the last 6.5 model that rolled off the final assembly line in a vehicle application.

The motor itself, is reliable and will give you several thousands of miles. The injector pump might be the only set back. I've only heard that you can encounter leaky injectors around 90K and weeping oil cooler lines every so often. I haven't replaced any of my injectors and I've only had one injector pump replaced shy of 90K. Since new, I've replaced the oil cooler lines four times and two rounds of glow plugs. I only have 120K on the odometer, but my hour meter that I installed when I bought the truck equates to roughly 195K miles.

Just my .02¢
    Rick

12. CGLC

CGLC Senior Member