1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

94 Super Duty Alternator

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Cooter24, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

OK, I know there is aways a lot of talk about this, I've looked everywhere. The 94 and older F series uses a crappy wiring system on the alternator. It is time for us to replace ours. Stock is 75 amps ours barely puts out 60. The largest I can get locally is an 80 amp but still uses stock wiring with no large cable direct to battery. I have found a few options. Replace w a self igniting Delco 120 amp unit and only requires 1 wire to battery. Would have to find wire for volt meter in stock wiring and hook it up to work. Other option is upgrade to 95 or 96/97 130 amp unit. Not sure if this is a direct bolt on or not. Wire ends would need to be replaced. This unit also comes w a stud terminal to use a large positive to battery. Then the 95 and 96/97 are identical cases w only difference being pulley size. Not sure what to do, but would like to upgrade over stock unit.

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

http://alternatorparts.com/
    Sites like this may help. Some automotive electrical rebuild shops can rebuild your alternator to a higher output. This helps if you don't have the space for a larger size one. I have a shop 4 miles from me that does it all the time. I don't know what you would have being a bit out in the wilds of our country.

3. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

i run the 96 on mine just change the pully

4. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Did you just re use your original pulley? What about the wiring? Will have a new one in the morning, will let you know how it goes.

5. Morrissey snow removal

just put ur pully on the new one wires are the same

6. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Pry wont get to alternator today, fixing darn exhaust manifold. Old alternator had two 3 wire plugs. New one has one 3 wire plug which will plug in and a single wire plug along w a stud for positive cable to battery. Mounting platform is also about 1" longer. Will cut and reweld top alternator bracket.

7. Morrissey snow removal

i have never had to cut and weld anything i have been doing it for yrs

8. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Used a junk yard Ford Taurus 130 amp alternator on my buddies truck, think we changed the pulley and it bolted right up. I believe its still going after 3 seasons.