1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

94 k2500 Brakes

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Greenwalt, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Greenwalt

Greenwalt Member

So i'm in the middle of getting the truck ready for winter, and have done half of the front brakes. Passanger side went great, everything is done and put back together on that side. Now, on the driver's side I have encountered some hold ups.

The brakes are set up where the whole hub must come off and a new rotor be pressed on, ok no big deal. I was able to get the passanger side off no probelms by just hitting the rotor back and forth, but the driver's side is not moving.

I have gotten it off just some what, but it appears the rotor has allready broken free from the hub some what, because it moves when I hit it, the rotor that is, but the hub does not.

I got a puller from NAPA specifically for this, but it seems to just push the axle farther in, and not the hub out. I'm thinking i'm going to have to take the whole knuckle off, which I really don't want to do...So.... any advice would be great guys.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

those are a real pita to do. the bearing hub likes to rust in the knuckle assembly. a puller that pushes on the c/v shaft wont work to good at all.

best thing to do is beak the unit out. i use a air chissle with a punch head in it. then thread the hub bolts in the bearing unit 5-6 turns. then hammer the bolt head a little on each one. the unit will come out in time.

hope this helps.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Same here sweet. Along with plenty of penetrating oil.

Also, do not forcefully pry or attempt to force a chisel between the flange on the hub assembly and the spindle. You'll do far more harm than good if your not very careful.

4. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

I have a bit for my air hammer that fits over the head of the bolt. I think its made by Lisle. Works geat for getting bearing assemblies out of the spindles. Lots of CRC powerlube and patience.

5. Greenwalt

Greenwalt Member

Thanks for the help. The air chissle was the right tool.