1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'94 K2500 5.7, no fuel

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sschario, Dec 26, 2002.

1. sschario

sschario Member

On my way to my first real plowing job (for $) last night about midnight, I decided to top off the tank. Truck never started again. No fuel. Fires right up on ether. I don't believe the pump is running, can't hear it. There is power in the fuse box and fuses are good.

Does the pump always have power when the key is on or is there a control or interlock that might prevent it from getting juice?

I will dig in deeper tonight, but thought I would put it out there for suggestions. Thanks.

2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

OK. there is a couple things you can check. First thing I would do is check to see if you have juice at the pump, if you do and you dont hear the pump running, it needs a pump. If there is no juice there, then Id check the fuel pump relay first. Other things that control the pump would be the Ignition Module and ECM. It seems kind of odd though that all you did was put gas in it and it never started again. Im wondering if the truck has an inertia switch like some other newer cars and it popped somehow, I doubt it though, I never saw a truck with one of those. Mike

3. sschario

sschario Member

I picked up a Haynes manual at lunch and I will tear into it tonight.

Thanks Mike

4. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

fuel pump

Mike made some good suggestions, although there is no inertia switch of any type.

You can bang on the fuel tank a little, sometimes that can help a dying pump.

Your description is typical. Have often seen it happen where everything's been running fine, then it just won't start.

If it is a pump, too bad you just topped off.

And considering the age, the sending unit and lines on the top of the tank are probably so rusty, you'll need those too.

Not too cheap, but if you need some sources, pm me

John

5. sschario

sschario Member

I did verify that everything else is working as advertised. It is the pump. I am letting it thaw out and will R&R this weekend.

Thanks for the help.

6. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Your welcome for the help. Your gonna have to drain the tank before you can drop the tank down. Some people insist that its easier to lift the bed off and access the fuel pump that way, assuming this is a pickup truck you are working on, I dont agree but maybe Im wrong. I think unbolting the bed would be a little harder than just draining it the tank and dropping it. Plus to lift off the bed I would think you would need a lift or a few real strong guys to help lift it off then lift it back on when your ready and it would have to be all realigned again, not much fun in my book. Anytime you need any help, post here, if I cant help someone else will, great site we have here. Mike :waving:

7. sschario

sschario Member

New pump's in and humming. Not a fun job, but went pretty well. Thanks again.

8. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Great news!!! :drinkup: Mike