1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

94 K1500 Clutch

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by camaroracer016, Oct 17, 2006.

1. camaroracer016

camaroracer016 Junior Member

Hello all! First off, Just wanted to say, this is a great site! Im sure ill be spending alot of my time here..lol. Now here is my question; I have a 94 chevy K1500 extd. cab short bed, with a 4.3 and 184k on the clock. I think its about time to get a clutch. It doesnt slip, suprisingly, but the pedal is ALL the way up before it engages. I dont have a shop to do this in, just a driveway. Can i slide the tranny-t-case together back enough to get in there and do it? Or would i have to take it out? Thanks in advance!

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would bet your going to have to pull it all off. You figure the input shaft is at least 12 inches long and you need room to work. Transfer cases are very heavy and awkward to work with. They tend to make the tranny turn in a tranny jack. It has to come off first.
    You may have to flame wrench the cross member bolts off because they rust badly.
    Replace all the wear parts when you do it. ( Disk, Pressure plate, Pilot bearing, Throw out bearing, Slave cylinder and have the Fly wheel machined ) If you don't the new disk may not last long.
    Invest in a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood to roll the rental tranny jack on under the truck if it's a gravel drive.

3. camaroracer016

greeeat. THanks for the advice. That why mitcheel on demand said its about a 10 hour job. Great! Thanks!

4. MickiRig1

It ain't easy, but it's a job you feel great after you finish it!
    Feel free to ask questions.
    That's what we are here for.

5. camaroracer016

Yeah. I know i cant wait to get a new clutch put in! Prolly start on it next week. How much does it usually cost to get the flywheel machined?

6. RedneckPlowGuy

RedneckPlowGuy Senior Member

since i work in an auto shop i could be of some help...first of all you need to get the truck supported well,
    - remove both driveshafts
    - drain fluid from transfer caase
    - loosten crossmember bolts on transfer case mount
    - remove bolts on transmission to transfer case hub
    - slide transfer case back and tilt to remove from vehicle
    - remove crossmember transer case rested on
    - disconnect all linkages and shiftter from top of transmission
    - take exhaust loose from manifolds
    - remove all bellhousing bolts
    - slide transmission back
    - replace clutch and have flywheel resurfaced
    - replace everything in order it was removed and torque to proper measurments

**this is a very vague idea of what needs to be done, many smaler things left out, do not go strictly by my instructions**

7. MickiRig1

Like I said above the transfer case is HEAVY ! It's a 2 person job to get it to the floor without injury or dropping it.
    Call around for the flywheel machining it's about $25 or so, I think.

8. camaroracer016

Thanks alot guys! You guys are awesome!