1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

94 jeep grand 4x4 issue

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by cameo89, Sep 20, 2010.

1. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I just bought a 94 jeep grand cherkee with quadra trac, when on the dry roads, making turns if hops real bad! is this normal? I have never owned a all wheel drive vehical! Thanks for any help guys
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Sounds like its in Part time 4wd.
  3. Rockdaddy

Rockdaddy Junior Member

You have a bad Viscous Coupler in the transfer case. You are driving around in 4x4. Many people swap the transfer case to a 231 model
  4. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Is there a way to change or swap out the viscous coupler? I'm really not wanting to to change out the transfercase! I have a 4 wire plug near the transfercase that will not plug into the 2 prong on the transfercase! Gonna take it tomorrow to have it looked at! By the wat it does have the 5.2 V8
  5. 89MJComanche

89MJComanche Member

I hate to break it to you... but what you bought is one of the worst Jeeps ever built.

Hate to say it... sell it.. and buy and XJ Cherokee... with AW4 Automatic and NP231 Case...
  6. 89MJComanche

89MJComanche Member

Just FYI... the case has to come out to service the coupler.... An NP231 can be had from U-PULL IT JUNKYARDS for $50... One hell of a way to set up a V8 ZJ or WJ
  7. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Just to add I bought the jeep and a dodge car. $300 for both, junked the car and got $256 so all in all I paid $44 for the jeep! And 2 days after picking it up my wife drives it daily! Construction is slow rite now so I'll have to wait for the snow plowing season to kick in before I can throw down some money on it to fix the little things. But thanks for the help, now I know what to fix.