1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

94 gm diesel

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jdknight75, Nov 25, 2009.

1. jdknight75

jdknight75 Senior Member

im looking at a 1994 2500 with the 6.5 diesel in it. can anyone tell me the good and bad about these engines.

2. Duramax101

Duramax101 Junior Member

I have a 94 GMC 3500 dually with that engine & love it. Has a dump bed & handles hauling, towing trailers & pushing snow very well. Mine has the 4.10 gears so I'm sure that helps some..I was told it wasn't a very powerful engine but I like mine as well as the 6.6 L Duramax.

3. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

i have a 92 hd3500 that had a 6.5 ran ok but blew up i put a 6.2 in from a 89 truck in runs good but no turbo still work good i think i might have more power with the 6.2

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I doubt you have more power with the 6.2. You could have swapped the exhaust manifolds and intake and put the turbo on it.
    I have 2 6.5's both have been good and get decent mileage.

5. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

i still have all turbo parts but the oil line to the turbo blew a hole in it so turbo is wasted plus i got the hole donor truck for $500.00 eng was reman so i put that in

6. purplehavoc

purplehavoc Member

6.5 was a decent motor,just not gobs of torque.
    They had some cooling issues and the PMD liked to fail because of heat.A
    remote mounting kit cures that.
    Some had IP problems.$$$
    Other then that they were a pretty reliable motor that gave decent unloaded mileage.

My old 6.2l runs like a top,gets decent mileage and will do 0-60 in a week and a half.