1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

94 Ford Turbo Dsl Front End

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ECLC, Mar 17, 2008.

1. ECLC

ECLC Junior Member

I have a 94 Ford Turbo Dsl and a weird noise coming from the drivers side front end. Every time a drive into an incline or decline on the road I hear metal on metal, almost like a grinding noise. I had the upper/lower ball joints done along with new shocks put on a little over a year ago. Could it be time for replacing them again? I also had a sway bar put in last month and it didn't help the problem at all.
    The truck runs well on the highway and plowing, but as soon as I have to make a right and drive down a driveway, the drivers front end makes that awful grinding noise. My neighbor who has a 05-F350 said that my leaf springs might be bent...Could this be it? That would be an easy fix......Or should I be looking at u-joints? bad bearings somewhere?

Any suggestions would be appreciated so that I can get the ball rolling

2. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

f250 or f350 ??:confused:

3. ECLC

ECLC Junior Member

My bad...that would help.....it's a 350

4. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Try moving the 4wd shift lever. Mine has something funky going on in the front diff, When I shift into 4wd, it stops.

Is it doing it with or without the hubs engaged?

5. ECLC

ECLC Junior Member

Dstosh, It does both with hubs locked in, and unlocked. It's frustrating because the truck runs fine on the road.....but like I said, as soon as drive into an incline or decline going in the road I hear this awful metal on metal sound. I only notice it going real slow into these turns....Just the drivers side only.... Would that be a faulty U joint or a bad bearing somewhere?

6. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

What about your brakes? Are they good, maybe it is the wear indicators. It could also be a bad wheel berring or something, Take the drivers side wheel off and see what is up.

7. ECLC

ECLC Junior Member

Yeah I don't know Dstosh....the truck goes in for a scheduled service next week and I'll take it from there. I'll take the mechanic with me for a road test so that I can solve this problem. Thanks for the suggestions!