1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

94 f250 charging system

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Morrissey snow removal, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

i have a 94 f250 with a new battery and new altinator and it does not keep a charge and the battery light is on and the gauge on the dash says it charing at 9 or 10 volts any ideas thanks

2. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

Charging

Try checking your grounds. I have seen this happen to several plow trucks & they seem to find the problem in a ground wire. I had the same issue with my salt truck & ended up running a ground from the battery to the frame & installed a new ground cable from the battery to the block as well, this seemed to do the trick.

3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Check or redo the ground for sure. If that doesn't work I bet you either have a bad battery or alternator. On my old Ram it ate three batteries with a "good" rebuilt alternator. Luckily all the batteries were covered under warranty. Sears must hate me. Switched out the alternator when I replaced the fourth battery in a little under 2 weeks and fixed the problem.

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Check all your grounds!
    There are many with black wires attached to points all around the engine compartment,engine and frame.Bad grounds will feed back and cause many weird problems. Check the alternator lead too, they can fry and cause problems. Clean all the connections and Put dielectric grease on them to protect them . It's got to be a connection problem to cause the problems you have!

5. DeereFarmer

...or if you want the latest AutoZone commercial, it could be your battery wires lol!

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If you want a fight just try to get a free replacement for their "3 year Free replacement Battery".

The store I bought it from would charge it and test it and tell me it was OK.
    I went to a differant store and they did once and replaced it without one grumble.
    I had them pull up my purchase record, recorded under my phone number. Three years was over $4,000 in parts I bought. ( Repairing My Extended Family Cars )

7. DeereFarmer

They replaced all four of mine without an issue. I was surprised. I sold the truck and it still has like a 1.5 year warranty left on the battery.