1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

94 F-350 questions ?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by skmodmsl, May 13, 2006.

1. skmodmsl

skmodmsl Member

I am looking at a 94 F-350 4x4 flatbed dump truck. It has only 53k miles on it. The truck has sat awhile. The truck has a 460 engine with a automatic trans. It was used as strictly a plow truck.

The price seems right in my budget. It is being sold by a used car dealer. I have 2 concerns. The first is 2 spark plugs have "blown" out of the heads. I'm assuming this was due to sitting plus the wet conditions this truck has seen. Is this common on the 460 ? The second concern is the automatic transmission. Are they pretty good or is it going to be a concern ?

I saw the truck on-line and called ahead. The dealer said that once a person decides on purchase they will fix any mechanical and safety problems with the vehicle.

I am wondering if this truck is worth 8K or should I look further ?

2. zapster

zapster Member

i've never heard of a 460 bolwing out plugs..
    snapping them off is the common problem because the plug holes get filled with water and dirt so bad you cant get the socket on the plugs!

the trannys (C-6) is a non issue
    i had a '89 4x4 460 auto with a 8'fisher
    i beat the snots out of it and it never gave me greif..
    now is a plow truck at my buddys house in upstate n.h.
    and it still runs tops:salute:

...zap!

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would look at the truck real well before I committed to purchase. It could have "Lot Rot" real bad if it's been sitting for a long time on their lot. Make sure the brake lines are not almost rusted through or floor pan or frame or the rotors and brake drum surfaces are all rusty on the working surfaces.
    If it has just a 99,000 odometer on the truck it may have a lot more miles on it then they say. They will lie to you! The "blown out plugs" may be from an idiot who cross threaded them and that destroyed the threads. You need to drive the truck for a few hours and make sure it's OK. It shifts,stops,goes,idles,charges, no leaks and all stuff works.The 8K price is kinda high for it's age.

4. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

check the oil pan for rust.fords are known for rotting oil pans

john

5. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

8K for 8-10 mpg?

Price seems high for the mechanical problems--The dealer is going to fix the problem the cheapest way possible and possibly not the proper way :( I would stay away from this one JMO and keep looking!