1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

94 Dually being converted

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by onemanband, Nov 23, 2014.

1. onemanband

onemanband Member

Good afternoon everyone. I want to thank you to everyone on hear that has contributed. I have Gleaned more information in such a short period of time from this site.
    So here is my latest project. I bought a 94 Dually 5.9 Cummins 4x4, Standard cab, 8ft bed. automatic tranny that was rebuilt 20,000 K ago.
    I bought a set of 2012 Rims an tires off of Craigslist. Im taking the Fiberglass fenders off the bed and putting the spacers on the rear axles. Will send Pics soon.
    Im upgrading the the front suspension.
    -TTC 1216 with Bilstien shocks
    -Moog suspension parts
    -Spicer U joints
    -Steering box bracket
    Im doing all of this because my next step is to put a Boss DXT 8'2".
    My question to everyone is what else should I need to do or put on my wish list with regards to upgrades or mods, Extra weight in the rear end etc, etc. I have plowed off and on for years with all types of trucks and plows. Given all the weak points of the Dodge I thought I would address the problems with aftermarket, upgraded equipment so Im not left High and dry when I'm out pushing snow. Thank you in advance for any and all your input.
    The Plow and mount will be new, and I will be the ONLY operator. :mechanic:

2. nixray

nixray Senior Member

Perhaps a larger trans cooler. Only thing I can think of

3. onemanband

onemanband Member

Do you think I would need it in the winter. Summer time i will hardly be pulling any loads.

4. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Yes, you need it. Plowing is as hard or harder on a trans than general towing.

Are you converting from a dually to a single rear wheel setup? If so, why?

5. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

same question- are you converting truck to dually? if so that's silly for just snow plowing.

X2 on the trans cooler, you will need it as the forward/reverse motion heats a trans up quick, not to mention all the heavy snow you'll be pushing around.

6. nixray

nixray Senior Member

You need a larger cooler JUST for plowing. Let alone towing. The repetitive shifting causes friction=heat. A cooler and accurate gauges are a must. Also watch your EGTs. And keep snow/ice build up out of the air cleaner. Some do this by installing a blanket on the grill. Also I push in D and 2 wd. (Only 4 high as needed). However this is a highly debatable subject.

7. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Put a Temperature gauge in the line to the cooler - this will tell you what is really going on in the transmission. The pan or service ports on the side are way cooler. I have a used truck that came with both and was amazed how the pan can be 120 and the line can be 180 + . It really shows how much heat the torque converter can make. Also your pan could be 180 and you are thinking you are fine but the output line could be at the point where the oil is being burnt.

8. onemanband

onemanband Member

Dually to SRW

To the responses: Iam converting the dually to a SRW. I don't want to put anything bigger than an 8' _" plow on the truck. 2 extra tires i don't need to worry about. I will have a one ton without the extra wheels. I have 2 banks I need to squeeze through and the dually or the western won't make it through the Drive throughs of the bank. I will be keeping all the components if I or someone wants to go back to being a dually.
    Interesting, I have had pillar gauges on my previous trucks and I never paid attention to the tranny temp. I will now:laughing:
    I do put my truck in neutral when i sit idle so the tranny fluid will cycle. I have been a BG purist for quite sometime and Im going to add that to the tranny this week.
    Im thinking a vented tranny pan? Do you guys think its worth it.
    White, I see you are in Bloomtown. Im over that way often. Love to buy you coffee and introduce myself to you if you ever have time.
    I find it to be a personal challenge to see how long I can run in 2 wheel drive. Of course depending on the snow conditions i Like to try and keep the truck in 2 wheel drive when I turn corners (less wear on the front end) but its usually in 4 . You know how it is 12 hours into a push you start getting bored and look for challenges.

9. onemanband

onemanband Member

I have started pricing for larger tranny coolers. Anyone have a favorite website that may have a good deal on one?

10. maxwellp

11. onemanband

onemanband Member

Thank you Maxwell. I see you are from Verona. I use to race Motocross at a track near Verona way back in the day. That whole area has really grown up. I hope your business is doing well. Thanks of the Ebay link.

12. maxwellp

13. onemanband

onemanband Member

Thanks Max, I might play around with a junk yard fan that I found and put that on the cooler. Also, I will keep a close eye on the temp going in an out. If the fan doesn't work then ill go with the cooler an Fan.

14. onemanband

onemanband Member

IMG_0002.JPG
    Picked this little Gem up on craigslist for $4k. Love duallys but not for plowing. So I decided to make the Ol girl an SRW 1 ton.
    Bought the tires an Rims together off of Craigslsit for $200. Tomorrow I will be mounting the new BOSS on her. She is still an ugly duckling but eventually I will bring her around. I will keep everyone posted on all the upgrades.
    I want to post this in the recent thread about buying old used equipment for plowing.
    Ok, So how do I post a pic on here?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

??? did you look?
    because your diesel should have came with a large tranny cooler located behind your inter-cooler

16. onemanband

onemanband Member

I did look. The tranny cooler is on the front Right hand side in front of the radiator. No fan on it.
    I bought a tranny temp gauge and installed it inline for a true tranny temp read.
    Thanks Farmer for helping me post pics.

17. onemanband

onemanband Member

/img_0001.jpg