1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

94 Dodge Ram w/ Cummins

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by griffithtlc, Aug 21, 2003.

1. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

I am pressed for time to find a truck, since I just sold mine, withing two weeks (school starts :mad: ). I am thinking of getting a 94 2500 diesel. The truck has 161,000 miles, and is at the top of my spending range. I am 98% sure that I can get the dealer to get me out the door after tax and liscense for $8,500 or less. That is the max I can spend, as I am not positive I can be safe over that (I am too young for my credit to go down the tubes!). I am sold on the cummins, and this truck has the lowest miles in my range. The question is, would you buy it if you were me? Here is a pic of it.

94 diesel.jpg

2. Bighammer

Bighammer Member

Looks like a nice truck. I have one (94 Cummins) in black with a 5 speed. Great old truck. There are a couple of points to consider:

Early 94s have a different track bar than the later models. (changed in Feb 94 I think) The early ones have a smaller taper on the frame mount stud so the dealer is the only source. (last I checked) I've replaced mine twice. (2nd time was my expense ~300 for the part) The larger ones are available aftermarket with a lifetime waranty. (don't let it stop the deal, just a heads up)

Also the KDP (Killer Dower Pin) should be dealt with. It's an alignment pin in the timing case that can fall out into the timing gears causing an ugly oil leak on the front of the engine. It can be a very expensive fix.

I love my old truck. It's a blast to drive since added some extra hp under the hood :nod:

There's a lot of info at the TDR website

Good luck with it.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2003
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'd buy it in a heartbeat.You can't go wrong with the Cummins.The rest of the truck may have it's share of problems (all trucks do),but you shouldn't have to worry about the motor at all.

Don't worry about the mileage,as the Cummins will go forever.

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Nice truck,the Cummins makes it worth the $$,definetely kill the dowel pin.

5. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Looks like a good clean truck from here. The cummins is a great motor and will last a very long time. Are you going to put a plow on the truck?

6. griffithtlc

Yes, I am going to hang a plow on the front. 90% sure that it will be a Blizzard 810. I got their info packet a few days ago, and it looks like a great plow. Do you guys think that doing 10 foot swipes would be a little too much with this truck? It will plow in the winter, and pull lawn mowers around in the summer. Probably going to get this one, I am applying for the loan.

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

Clearing a 10 ft wide path with the Cummins is no problem.My truck will straightblade with a 12 footer,the only limiting factor is traction.

8. John DiMartino

My 3/4 ton Ram pushes the 9'2" Boss V with ease,the plow can be overflowing and full anglne the truck keeps on pushing .I dont think the 810 will be a problem.

9. griffithtlc

Well, I have the check in my pocket (won't see that much money for a while, I'll be nickel and diming it for a few years, unless it snows a ton and we can make some big payup )! I am going down tomorrow to pick it up. I'll post some pics when i get home. Probably won't get much sleep tonight, as it is my first real nice truck. I'm excited to get behind the wheel of that Cummins monster:bluebounc !

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

Good luck,hope the deal goes through as planned,as your gonna love that truck.Pics would be nice if you can get some.

11. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Good luck with the truck I hope it all works out for the best:)

12. griffithtlc

I Finally Got It!

Well, the truck is in my driveway now. These things are awesome! The power of the mighty Cummins is absolutely incredible! I never knew what you Cummins guys were raving about (us Cummins guys, now:D ), but now I know! I am just looking for stumps or trailers to pull, that thing has so much power! well, thanks for all of your advice guys. Here are the pics:

my truck front.jpg

13. griffithtlc

Another shot

my truck rear.jpg

14. griffithtlc

Here is my old truck, I went from 8 MPG with this to 18 MPG with the 94!

truck left quarter.jpg

15. griffithtlc

Oh, I forgot to mention, I got pulled over 35 miles from my house. The cop pulled up behind me on the freeway, and sure enough flipped his cherries on. We got a slip of paper from the dealer that was supposed to be "good registration for 30 days". Turns out that the cop said it was junk, so I was thinking the worst. But he didn't give me a citation because it wasn't my fault. But, the Cummins had no problem getting up to speed on the busy freeway:D

16. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Nice looking truck. Im glad you got it and you are happy. Thanks for the pictures, now all you have to do is get the plow on there and you are all set. Oh yea, when you put the plow on, take more pictures, hehe. Good luck! Mike

17. wyldman

wyldman Member

Very nice

You think it has power now,wait until you turn it up some :D

18. John DiMartino

Wyldman took the words from my mouth! These things are so mild in stock form. Im glad you love your truck. Now that you own a CUmmins diesel,you wont likely ever go back to a gasser.

19. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

That truck is a real nice one. good luck with it im sure you will be very pleased! More pics please:drinkup:

20. dillyolboy

dillyolboy Member

Big hammer Can you list some places to buy an aftermarket track bar with a lifetime warranty? (for a half ton) My uncle has a 96 on its 6th one and he greases it all the time.