1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

94 dodge CTD -

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by elite1msmith, Jul 30, 2008.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

ok , got a 94 dodge cummis - =)

after you shut it off, and leave it sit over 24 hours or more/..

it has problems starting, u need to have ur fooot to the floor... similar symptoms , as if u let it run out of fuel.. i know the enitre line is not draining, becuase i have had to start one that was COMPLETELY OUT OF FUEL and it was like 3 -4 mins of cranking

this is like - 30 seconds of cranking, then with ur foot to the floo r, the RPM slowly start coming up..... , then it will die , and u repeat the cranking process,...and its good all day long

im thinking that the line between the lifter pump and the injection pump is draining somehow?

2. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

thats possible. you could have a clogged fuel line or filter, have u checked those? also, my gf's mother had a similar porlbme with her SUV. It turns out the the rollover shutoff sensor was messed up and as soon as the vibration from the engine kicked in, it would shut everything down.

3. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Have you replaced the fuel water seperator filter, they usually filter down to 10 microns, a small amount of gunk can play hell on a fuel system. Will act like it's running on fumes all the time. hope this helped.

4. elite1msmith

from chicago

i will check the filter, but i dont think that it is the case, because , once the truck is started ....it will run perfect, it will restart perfect ...the long it sits the worst the probelm is.... 24 hours, and u need to crank for about 15 seconds.... 3 days and its about 30 seconds....

but shut it down , and restart 3 hrs later...no problem

5. Moonlighter

Oh okay its a bleed down issue, have you checked the seals - orings in the injection pump. Or possibly the check valve in the injection pump has gone bad, and is slowly bleeding back to the tank but not fully. Just some thoughts.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  6. elite1msmith

from chicago

you know , i have not had a chance to look into it, also, i have never had to work on the injection pump, so i will have to do some researce to better undersant your question, but that sounds correct, i dont think its physicly leaking anywear, so maybe the check valve?

If not like its that hard to start , at least for now, am i doing any damage, by running that truck?... i would fix it, but i have other problem childs lined up first

7. Moonlighter

Damage I would think would be minimal at best, when its running it runs good, you may lessen the life of the starter, If you can find a website or diagram of the injection pump it should show if it uses a check valve system. A full blown diesel tech would know for sure, my guy's sleeping right now but I can call him tomorrow and ask him about your issue and see what he tells me, I used to wrench with him for years hell tell me straight up what it is and where to find it.

8. elite1msmith

from chicago

if you could... that would be a treemendous help...and i would owe you big time

9. Moonlighter

No problem, I will see if he has some time to talk, and Ill post what he tells me by Saturday, he gets really busy, so it may take a day or two. Hey no problem, you guys have been an invaluable resource for me.

10. elite1msmith

from chicago

ok 10-4 good buddy ...thanks !

11. elite1msmith

from chicago

also, if the truck is parked down hill, even slightly, it will start up with out a problem

12. elite1msmith

from chicago

moon lighter, any thoughts from your buddy?

13. rebelplow

rebelplow Senior Member

I don't really have an answer to the question you asked, but it does sound like something is leaking down somewhere. On my 94 Cummins, on the first start of the day, it takes just a quick crank if you have half throttle. If you don't put throttle to it, it'll crank for maybe 6 seconds before it pops off. Once you start it up tho, it smokes. Big billowy, smoke clouds, and smoke rings. It'll run rough and smoke like heck for about a minute. If you let off the throttle it will die. I'm not sure if yours smokes too, but I have narrowed mine down to a fuel pre heater that isn't hooked up.

14. elite1msmith

from chicago

no visible smoke, at least any more than to expect form a cold diesel motor. this is purly like the fuel line ( between the injection pump and lift pump) has an air pocket or , simply runs drains out if left over night

and if the truck is parked down hill, there is not as much of a problem in the morning

15. bossplowguy

bossplowguy Senior Member

are the fuel lines rusty? I had a 91 ctd that had a small pin hole in the fuel line and when you would try to start it, it would take forever. The funny thing is the line weeped a small amount of fuel out but it never dripped on the ground. Might wanna check those lines.

16. Moonlighter

Sorry it took me so long, fuel transfer pump is what the consensus is, either a leaking seal inside of it or just past its age, as you said if you park it on a hill no problem which means the fuel has less uphill traveling to do to get to the fuel heater and on to the injection pump. I hope this helps.

17. elite1msmith

from chicago

just for anyone elses info, in case you have a problem

i found some fuel around the filter area... not sure yet , i cleaned it off, so i can get a better look at it...for the moment it seems to be starting better

18. elite1msmith

from chicago

just up dating ppl , for anyone else with a problem,

i found a pin hole leak on the filter, (gasket) , im not sure if thats the reason, but i will replace it next week and let you all know

19. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

a pin hole will do it good luck hope you found the problem

20. wls

wls Senior Member