1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

94 Chevy 3500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Lazer Man, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Lazer Man

Lazer Man Senior Member
    from SW Pa.

We are looking at purchasing another truck to add to our fleet. We have come across a 94 3500 that was formerly owned by a natural gas company. We already have a truck exactly the same as this new truck but the difference between the two trucks is the one we own has a 454 engine and this new truck has a 350. How much will I actually feel in between the two engines? Just to further add this new truck has only 30,000 miles comes equiped with a Fisher w/ underhood hyro unit and the original Fisher trip edge has very little wear. Just wondering what are some of your thoughts on this truck, thanks for any help.

Bob:waving:

2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

You probably will notice some difference in power, but I really would not worry about it. In almost all case, you probably will break traction before you could use up all the power it has. I believe that the 350 will be plenty, and should be easier on fuel mileage. ;)

3. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

The 350 will be plenty powerful, thats the engine my truck has and mine is the older style, 1992, with throttle body fuel injection and its not the Vortec 350. The 454 is for sure more powerful and it is noticeable if you drive one truck, then the other. My friend has a 1992 2500 Chevy with the 454 and that thing feels very powerful. I never plowed with his truck, but just driving his and mine, there is a noticeable difference in power for sure. If the price is right, buy it! Mike :waving:

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

There is a difference in power,but unless your hotrodding it or towing heavy loads,it will be fine.

I'd go for it as the old style underhood hydraulics are very reliable and fast.

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Mike both of those trucks would be TBI, the switch to SFI and the vortec heads came in 1996, along with the OBDII systems.

My uncle has a 1991 c3500 with a 350, it has a 10' stake body on it, besides having to replace it once, he has no complaints about this engine, it has plenty of power for his grunt work. If you are comfortable with the truck, there is no reason not to get it. :cool:

The TBI engines have gained a reputation over the years of being very reliable, the most important characteristic in a fleet truck.