1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

94 chev 4 wheel slow engage

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by t.r., Jan 27, 2002.

1. t.r.

t.r. Junior Member

just a couple quick questions,
    when pulling the lever for 4 wheel on my 94 chev it engages slow but goes in every time w/out fail, any fix?

one more question
    i have a 81 chev 3/4 ton, but i put a 73 drivetrain under it
    full time 4 wheel, i get about 7 mpg on the road and about 4 while plowing if i convert to lockouts how much better will it get?
    i think it has 4:10's or close to it.
    also is it a big job to convert? ive heard i had to do something in the t-case any truth to this. np203 is what it has.

thank you

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

There is a new electric 4wd actuator to upgrade your 94's,I put one in my 89GMC,it will go in 4wd in 1 second after that,You need the actuator,and new new front wiring harness,total cost at the dealer85 dollars with shop discount.You need to tap into one wire under the transfer case,its real easy to do,and took me 1/2 hr total time.Ask a tech at the dealer which wire you need to tap,the instructions dont say which one.Ive never converted a FT to part time,so I odnt knwo how much mileage will inprove.

3. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

john's way seems ideal but i have an after market kit warn puts out that makes the 4 wd transfer very fast as well but its more than 100 bucks

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The aftermarket kit is the ultimate in reliablity,but if there are other drivers using the truck,I wouldnt put it in,if they engage the axle first on the fly,the results wouldnt be good,the front driveshaft needs to come in first,then the front axle after,if the order is reversed you can do serious damage to the actuator housing,and related gears,and slip yokes.So i would still use the Gm parts,so it remains idiot proof,seroiusly,the front axle comes in as fast as you move the lever with the upgraded actuator,throw the old one in the toolbox,for a spare it only takes a bgi adjustable wrench to change it out in 5 minutes,in a parking lot,if your worried about it going out in a storm,mine has been on for 3 seasons now,and no problems,this truck spends a lot of time in 4wd too.