1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

94-97% calcium vs. 81-85%

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bbuskett, Oct 28, 2010.

1. bbuskett

bbuskett Junior Member

Has anyone used the lower percentage grade of calcium chloride ? Is there any difference in the effectiveness? Any problems vs. the higher percentage? I am in Central NJ.
  2. SnowMelt2000

SnowMelt2000 Junior Member

You are just going to apply more of the lower percentage calcium to get the same melting results as the higher percentage.

Most of the lower percentage calcium is imported from China and it's hit or miss whether you get a decent product or not.

I would stay with any calcium produced in North American and forget the foreign product.
  3. bbuskett

bbuskett Junior Member

thanks..I appreciate the input
  4. kevhead20

kevhead20 Inactive
    from Chicago

Also, the shape of the product has an impact. Typically, the 83-87% material is in a flake form, whereas the 90% material is in pellet form. The flake will start to go into solution horizontally and not quite as fast as the 90% material. The pellet shape helps the solid "bore" into snow and ice better than the flake and penetrates/melts downward to the pavement. Obviously, more effective.
  5. HLS Wholesale

HLS Wholesale Senior Member

I've got a source for some 83-87% material. It is in pellet form too. Think i'll give it a try. Anyone want to split a load?