1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

94 3500 ???

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by MnM, Dec 27, 2006.

1. MnM

MnM Senior Member

came across a 94 3500 4x4 diesel flatbed auto DRW with 200,000 miles for 5gs What does everyone think about this deal. I want to put a v-box and plow on this pig. What is everyones experience with 94 autos and diesels with 200k on the ticker????
  2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

You will have to add a set of Timbrens. Other than that it sounds like an OK deal.
  3. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

dont know about the diesel but the gasser`s they say have tranny problems. altho i have 160,000 on my original trans and still going good. someone on here will know about the trans and iam sure will pipe in and let you know. watch as i say this my trans is probably going to go bad. that would be my luck.
  4. MnM

MnM Senior Member

nobody has a high milage cummins that would like to share their experience. I thought for sure there would be a ton of u. Anyone??
  5. dieselram94

dieselram94 Junior Member
    from Maine

High milage diesel

My 94 Ram has 358,000 miles on the cummins and I still average 21 to 23 mpg empty. It uses no oil to speak of has virtually no blow by out of the tube and never lets me down. When I do have a problem come up it is always a simple and cheap one to fix. 200,000 miles would not scare me at all if it is bone stock and they have not been using Fram oil filters. The auto will dye plowing but there are some good trans builders that can build a bulletproof trans for you. You can do alot of research on these trucks at dieselram.com. $5000. seems like a good price but only you can see the condition of the truck.
    Good luck!!!
    P.S. I have heard of many of these motors running from 500,000 to 1,000,000 miles with maybe only doing the head along the way.
  6. BigDave12768

I had one. Plowing will not kill the tranny as long as you make sure you have shifted from drive to reverse and it engages same with reverse to drive. This was one of the huge issues with that tranny when it cames to plowing. I got 100k out my tranny's. And the second one was just a blown convertor that I drove around with for another 6 months. Never really blew. But I wanted a new truck and had to have it fixed to sell it. The front ends are not the strongest. So get ready to buy a track bar or 2. But my truck started every morning no matter how cold it was out. Yes she ran a little rough for about 30 seconds but it cleared right up. But never burned oil!!!! Plus they are nice and loud!!!!! I miss that in my new truck. Oh yeah one other thing. Do not put one of those junk Blizzard plows on it. Go with a Fisher. I am sure you can find a nice used one for it. Used Blizzards are just asking for trouble
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  7. mhwwlmc

mhwwlmc Junior Member

My everyday driver is a 2001 Dodge 2500 with a Cummins & Automatic. I have 170,000 miles on the engine. I have had to change the Injector Pump & Lft Pump, but that is a common problem for the 24V engines. I have installed a replacement Tranny in mine, but I did boost the power in my truck. I do not have a Plow on it yet.
    Getting back to the 3500, I would assume that the 3500 already had the Tranny replaced by now if it was ever Plowed with. I you don't want that truck, I would surely be interested in it.
  8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

My advice is "Run fast and don't stop or look back". I just got rid of a '96 DRW 3500, 6.5TD auto, flatbed with just over 100,00 miles. I had it about five years and replaced the Pump Driver three times. If you have it done, it's not cheap (part and labor will be about $1,000). The shop I used was showing around four hours labor. If you do get it, get an aftermarket PMD with a Heat Sink to keep as a "just in case". It can be installed on top of the engine in about fifteen minutes. Even I did it myself. I'd also replaced the starter, thermostat (x2), pitman arm, brake pads and shoes, oil cooler lines, serpentine belt, front axle seals, wiper motor, fuel transfer pump and brake lines. When I sold it, it needed another starter (after only two years), oil cooler lines (after four years), rear transfer pump (after three years) and brake lines.

All within 32,000 miles from June '01 to Nov '06.
  9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Mick, I think he is asking about a Dodge.

Wish I had got mine with a Cummins. I have a '94 3500 with the V10. Tranny has been the biggest problem, had 9-10 replaced under warranty, when the warranty ran out replaced it with a Jasper and it went 3 years of plowing and towing before it went again. Never, ever let a dealer replace your tranny, even if it is under warranty. Always go aftermarket, the dealer will put the same junk in that failed the first time. I'm convinced that the dealer or Chrysler was screwing something up on mine. This was long before I knew better, unfortunately.

All in all, I wouldn't hesitate at all to buy it. Heck, I'd even install a Blizzard on it. In fact I just did have 860 Speedwing installed on mine. Not sure why, though.
  10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

:eek: I should have paid attn to the forum I was in. That's what comes from just hitting "new posts" button.
  11. BigDave12768

Yep becuase all us CTD owners know that Chevy's 6.5 is right up their with Fords 6.0 when it comes to dependable motors
  12. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

why will he need timbrens
  13. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

I run a 96 2500 CTD with a 5spd and would rather cut off an arm than part with it. Just turned 161,000 with only an alternator going bad. My only complaint is even with the winter front down and the blade up all the way she only runs 160 degrees and will never warm up idling in the driveway. I have a Sno Way 25 series which I think is around 600#'s it drops the front about 1.5" and another 620#'s in the bed right behind the tailgate which dropped the rear about 1/2". Check Dodge-diesel.org to see the reliabilty of the trans, you will find 100's of posts on them both good and bad you just gotta decide which outweighs the other.
  14. BigDave12768

Because even with plow prep package the spring were not strongest. Plus the truck is 13 years and will have some sag due to the heavy engine. I owned one with a plow. they sag a bit
  15. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

3 tons of ice melt will raise the front end right backup lol
  16. MnM

Don't worry about the mileage on the truck. I have 197,000 on my 94... It runs excellent. Just like you, I purchased my truck for work purposes only.

Make sure the KDP (Killer Dowel Pin) is fixed in the timing cover. (PM me and I can tell you more) Trannys in those years had some issues. But most auto trannys would not hold up to a cummins anyway.....:nod:

I say go for it....... 5 g's is cheap...... That is one day of plowing for us out here......payup

If you need any other questions answered about the 94's let me know.