1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'94 2500 Transmission Shift Issue

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Firebrands, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Firebrands

Firebrands Junior Member

I have a '94 2500, auto, with the V10. I have had it for several years, and just put a 8'2" Boss Poly Vee on it 2 months ago. When I plowed with my GMC I was able to shift quickly from forward to reverse when plowing. I DID NOT shift will the truck was still in motion and hammer the tranny, but I was pretty quick to shift and give it gas. I never had any problems. Now with this Dodge if I shift from forward to reverse and give it gas right away, the gear doesn't engage and the rpm's go up as if I shifted into neutral. Once the RPM's come down to idle range it pops into reverse and I can move. What I have had to do is pause for 2-3 seconds after shifting before giving it gas to let it get into gear. I have taken it to a tranny shop and had it serviced and the linkage adjusted, but this didn't fix it. The tranny guy (quite reputable) said that there was a manufacturing flaw in this tranny were some surface wasn't machined to the correct dimension, and that this causes the problem (he explained it in greater detail, but I don't remember the details). He said that the solution is to overhaul it, and install a repair part that performs correctly with this flaw. My question is...Anybody ever heard of this? It's really not an issue for everyday driving, but it really is irritating when I plow. Also it doesn't feel like I am doing the tranny any good when I plow. My thought was to just run it until it requires an overhaul ($1800-$2K). I love my Dodge, but I guess I get the fun of dealing with the first year bugs on the '94.

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

same issue in my 96- in everything I have been involved in with Dodge trucks since I bought it (lots of websites and mechanics, etc) I have never heard of this as being a flaw as mentioned being fixable- just a flaw in the design of the Dodge tranny. Simple fix- stop, shift, feel the gear engagement then drive. Not a big issue (5 years plowing with it).