1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

93' YJ Wrangler

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by chuck172, Aug 20, 2013.

1. chuck172

chuck172 Member
    from n.j.

I have a wrangler yj automatic, 4.0 I'm currently plowing with a 1989 f250. My own 800' driveway. The f250 can crap out any time. I'd love to have my wrangler equiped for back-up plowing, and light duty near the house-parking areas.
    What are my options for the jeep?

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

did you look at a snowdogg ? or a meyer classic setup

3. chuck172

chuck172 Member
    from n.j.

snowdogg doesn't make a setup for the wrangler yj. The start the the TJ's

4. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

There are many Meyer classic and Western Unimount setups out there that you can buy used for under $1500 to put on it. I've seen them cheap as $500.

As a Meyer guy, I prefer the electric controls and the many variations of them. But you do have to do annual fluid changes on a Meyer, where alot of guys just don't bother (though it is highly recommended) on Westerrn. Meyer will fail if not maintained, Western seem to do better.

If you're looking for near the house, and want to back-drag, the only real option is to go with a Sno-Way plow, though with an 800' drive, I can't honestly say that I'd want something that light duty.

Type "Jeep Plow" and "Jeep Snowplow" in your local craigslist search, hit "by owner" and see what you fiind. You might be surprised.

I certainly would have no fear of plowing with the YJ, unless of course it's already got the dreaded rear gas tank area frame rot. It will handle the drive, though in deep snow you will need to either half-cut, or plow with the storm. It's short, so it will fit in small places.

Just make sure you let the cab heat up with the heater set on floor before turning the defroster on or you can expect to end up with a cracked windshield.

5. chuck172

chuck172 Member
    from n.j.

Should I keep 6'6" as max. for the plow?

6. J-Quad

J-Quad Member

What is, "....the dreaded rear gas tank area from rot." ?

J-Quad

7. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

YJ's have a nasty tendency of frame rotting out in front of the gas tank, behind the forward leaf spring mount. Literally rotting in half. They also rot out in the far rear crossmember area. A natural tendency to hold salt.

8. J-Quad

J-Quad Member

Thanks for the heads up on that, JeepCoMJ. :drinkup:
    I'll have to give a closer look at that portion of the frame on my '95 YJ.

J-Quad

9. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

you're welcome.

And yes, I'd stick with 6'6" on it. You have a dana 35 rear axle, and it already might not like that big of a plow.