1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

93 W350 Torque Lock Up

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by DAFFMOBILEWASH, Dec 6, 2007.

1. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Hey everyone, have a 93 w350 Dodge W/ 360 auto 3speed. 4x4. The truck runs and shifts almost perfect. Only had the truck a week or so on the road. Before that it was sitting for about 1.5years. Gone through the obvious trying to get the truck to shift good. The only thing is that the tourque converter only locks up when ice cold. Once it locks up you can drive without it shifting out.

The problem lies when the truck warms up the trans shift points are good and it feels solid no slippage but she will just screem going down the road. With no lock up (tourque). So here's what has been done:

(1) filter oil change
    (2) lubed and inspected shift down linkage/ and shifter linkage
    (3) bottle of Lucas
    (4) shot of brake fluid.
    (5) checked and re checked fluid levels
    (6) checked all wiring under trans, looking for something silly??

At this point i'm at a standstill. Can't think of anything else to try. Truck runs and drives like a dream other than screaming down the road. I don't mind but these trucks don't get great millage with the touque converter working(locking up). Right now its averaging 6mpg:cry: at $4.00/gal approx. conversion. It actually does good in the city.

Any help would be great. I think its a 3speed 727 auto by the way.

DAFF

2. R&R Repair

R&R Repair Junior Member

I'm not sure on this but you may want to check the adjustment on the kickdown cable

3. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

First Gen Dodges I don't believe came with a lock-up converter in the tranny. The first gens had the a518 tranny, which is a non locking converter, it wasn't until the second gens (94-02) that they received the 47RH with the locking converter. I suppose its possible to have one with lock up if it was a very late '93 production run.
    You may be able to find out more info on www.ramchargercentral.com

4. DAFFMOBILEWASH

The truck actually had the factory book in the glove box. The trans in the truck is a 36 RH. This truck was one of the last of the old body styles. Seems to be super HD Having the larger lug nuts and cab and chassis from the factory. Thanks for suggestions. With the kick down linkage it seems to be slack when I crawl under the trans. This in theory making the trans shift a littler early in theory. I think.

Took the truck out early this AM. Still has lock up when cold and none after the truck warms up. AHH it is sooooo fustrating, to be so close but yet so far.

DAFF

5. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

What happened to the 91 cummins with 150 on it?

6. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

No tc-lock until the 46re is what my understanding was. We have a 96 with 360 and 46rh trans and no lock up.

7. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

Last year for the 727 was 1988 trans should be an a518/46rh, Still as far as basics go it is a727 with OD in tailshaft area
    no lock up on the a518 46RH

you may want to find out what is up with the OD part if you only have 3 speeds....

i don't know how much you know about tansmissions BUT I would place money on the the seal on the valve for OD in the valve body is trashed. if you have never worked on transmision valve body before Take it to someone..... this issue was common when they were new the machenning was off from day one, and would pop the seal right off the valve stem

8. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Can the seal be serviced without pulling the trans?? If it is in the valve body then I can remove it and service the bands, reinstall and vola. Thanks for your help. Yes the tranny feels like a 4speed but the gear selecter part and no overdrive switch confused me.

Still know where the W250 cummins is, like the truck but the underside of the body scares me. It is melting all over the place. Although the top seems to be almost perfect. Plus the 5speed issue for plowing. Still like the truck, the owner is in no rush to sell it. At this point in the game I have no time for any other projects. Just wishing for some white gold and large profits. Who knows I might and up with a 1995 2500 series w/cummins for my driver. It all comes down to snowfall.

thanks a 3500

DAFF

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  9. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

Not true. The 727 was around until at LEAST mid-91 year. I'm thinking the A518 was a 91.5 model year introduction.

Friend of mine had a 91 2wd Cummins with the 727...and I'm certain it was available behind the 4x4 Cummins for a short time as well.

Regardless. the 93 W350 in question here, SHOULD have an OD trans...possibly with a lock up converter.

10. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

gas trucks....

CTD- 727 was used early 91 A518 could have been had as option from 89 up

11. DAFFMOBILEWASH

So if it is a 4speed trans why no on/off switch for the overdrive???

Is there a fool proof way of determining the trans with out pulling the covers off again. I haven't had the time to tear off the covers due to the weather. The truck is still usable, don't wan't to tear it appart and find I need to wait for a part?? Then it would snow for sure.

DAFF

12. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

sure is drivers side lip just above the pan there is a big long # write it down and call the dealer. if the trasmission has never been changed sticker on the hood would list the trans type and finaly cab tag under the wiper cowl
    DGH =727
    DGR and or DGN and or DGB is the A518 46RH Heavy, light duty, low first gear
    DHA = lock up converter

( and yes i had to pull my books out to get the codes)

And from the way the book reads lock up converter would have had OD lock out switch the others will not..........

13. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

sure is drivers side lip just above the pan there is a big long # write it down and call the dealer. if the trasmission has never been changed sticker on the hood would list the trans type and finaly cab tag under the wiper cowl
    (cab tags codes only)
    DGH =727
    DGR and or DGN and or DGB is the A518 46RH Heavy, light duty, low first gear
    DHA = lock up converter

( and yes i had to pull my books out to get the codes)

And from the way the book reads lock up converter would have had OD lock out switch the others will not..........

14. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

I bet its the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)

15. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Thanks Rodhall for all you effort. This one has been bothering me since I put the truck on the road. As we all know when things sit crazzy things can and will go wrong with truck and cars. My driver has the truck awaiting to go push something other than ice, try to have a look later today to get the verdict. As the TPS it too make good sence but wouldn't that throw a code or check engine light.

At least the MPG are starting to improve almost got 11MPG on the last tank. Wow, if we can get the RPM 'S down it might hit 13MPG with the blade on it!!! To think my 02 2500HD w/6.0l got only 10MPG on the last tank. Although it was pulling 1-2YD salt on the back of it.

Thanks everyone

DAFF

16. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

The only computer on first gen cummins that I can recall is for rear anti-lock, therefore there shouldn't be a check engine light or codes to be thrown anywhere?
    The TPS won't throw a code at all. If you go to the first gen forum on www.dieseltruckresource.com there are several good threads and tech tips on how to check it and fix the problem. If you can't find what you are looking for then post up your problem. It is probably one of the best forums for first gen Dodge Cummins out there.

As for your MPG, I get around 11-12mpg plowing w/800lbs of ballast, so that should be right on. Without the plow of ballast I probably average 15-16 around town, and have hit over 20 on the highway.

17. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Codes are the following:

DGA- 3spauto trand std duty
    DGH - a727 trans