1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

93 tranny shift slow

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mxjake387, Nov 4, 2009.

1. mxjake387

mxjake387 Junior Member

I have a 93 k2500 6 lug. Im pretty sure the tranny is a 4l60e. My question is, when shifting into drive or reverse it takes a few seconds to kick in, is there a sensor or something that could be bad? How can i make it shift quicker?
    Thanks, Jake

2. mxjake387

mxjake387 Junior Member

anyone? :confused:

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Happen all the time or just after it sets for a period of time?

4. mxjake387

mxjake387 Junior Member

Happens all the time. It takes a while to kick into gear right after shifting from park or reverse into drive, or drive into reverse, not shifting while driving. Just wanted to clear that up.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Needs the valvebody rebuilt or the pump rebuilt/replaced. Both very common issues on a high mileage 4L60E. The valves and especially the bores wear (because the valvebody is aluminum) creating internal leakage. Once the leakage gets too great the pump can't keep the various circuits primed. Especially if the pump is worn too, which is usually the case.

6. mxjake387

mxjake387 Junior Member

Okay thanks a lot! I was hoping it was going to be something simple but I guess not.

7. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

How many miles is to many miles ?????

8. mxjake387

mxjake387 Junior Member

Theres 140,000 on mine.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And for a 4L60E thats enough to cause the wear I mentioned.

10. mxjake387

mxjake387 Junior Member

Would it be possible to replace it with a 4l80e when the time comes?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can but it takes some modifications. Need to either swap out the T-case for one that was behind an 80E or at least swap the 80E 32 spline input shaft into yours. Will also require some selective wiring modifications/additions, a cross member relocation and some driveshaft mods.

12. mxjake387

mxjake387 Junior Member

Not too bad, im just not really sure if the trucks worth the effort. I just bought it about a month ago in plans to resell it in the spring but now that im thinking about it, maybe putting some money into it it wouldnt be a half bad truck.