1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'93 Toyota, Xcab, 22RE engine

Discussion in 'Import and Other Trucks (Light Duty)' started by lawlopez, Nov 15, 2004.

1. lawlopez

lawlopez Member

I have a 1993 Toyota 4x4 Xtra cab
    with 5 speed, and a 22RE engine which
    is dead.

It came with a tiny fisher plow with a poly
    blade.

I'm getting a rebuilt engine from a know
    good rebuilder.

I'm wondering if I should get one of
    those high performance engines for
    Toyota motor homes.

The has had it's chaisses oiled since
    it was purchased.

I have a JD950 and blade as a primary snow mover.

2. Chainlink

Chainlink Member
    from Vermont

the 22re is a great little engine but known as Im sure you know low on power.
    I have had several Toyotas over the years and love them dearly. To make a choice on what egine best suits you, think first on what your going to need it for ie: Daily Driver, commuter, work horse, and so on. When you decide that then its easy, there are a couple of big name rebuilders for Toyota engines. They can build them for high horse power or low end grunt(I know some will snicker to the idea the little 4 banger could have grunt :rolleyes: but we are talking a small truck) There are tons of yota specific sites that have tons of info on this subject. they even build them in the middle of the road, good comprimise if you want to retain reliability, although from what I understand the torque 22re's are just as reliable due to the fact the are low rpms. High horse power ones tend to need to be rebuilt sooner. But for my money I would go in the middle you jump horses up to about 130 140 range up from stock 110 and torque ummmmmm... well I cant remember torques numbers but I know its better :D (I would have to look it up)

any way thats my .02

3. lawlopez

lawlopez Member

Chainlink, thanks, now you have me thinking!

Probably a good thing.

I'l probably go with a stock rebuild but now I have
    a somewhat bigger universe to think about.

I had forgotten that increased HP translates
    into decreased life.

it's too bad that increased HP also seems to translate
    into increased cost.

I wasn't able to find an old engine which is why
    I'm going after a rebuilt one.

4. Chainlink

Chainlink Member
    from Vermont

http://www.lcengineering.com/ heres another thing to think about, get a mild boost with a cam and there is a 20r head used in 22r set ups , boost in compression I should look and see if they convert the 20r head to EFI.
    But if you really want to keep it mild the typical engine enhancements help out the 22r and 22re cams headers bigger injecters. I would really look into a going through a credible engine builder, heres a couple of the more known builders.

http://www.lcengineering.com/

http://www.doaracingengines.com/4cyl.html

5. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I want to jump in here if you guys don't mind. I owned an 86 with the turbo and kick myself quite often for selling it. Chainlink. do you know much about them? Are these engines sought after because of any heavier duty parts in them. I think it was the following year, maybe two, that they introduced the 6 cyl. in the p/u. As a result I don't know if the turbo had much success. I want to start looking for a used Toyota for next summers lawn work, then eventually plowing, and hope I can find another turbocharged one. I'll check the links for the builders too. Thanks!

6. lawlopez

lawlopez Member

Oh boy, that's too much money for me.
    It is very tempting.

I'll see if I can work myself up to it.

It's about twice what I'd have to pay for
    one I'm looking for.

-----

Oh boy, I let a 1986 turbo with a rusted out frame but good engine go as a trade in to Toyota back in 2000.

I can kick myself for that now. What was I thinking.

7. Jim Prill

Jim Prill Member
    from Zion Il

Words of advice, if you either rebuild or go with a rebuilt engine make shure you use the aftermarket steel guides for the timing chain. I have a 89 with a rebuilt 22re and found out the hardway that the stock plastic ones break easly and the chain wears through the timing cover. I replaced mine with ones from northwest offroad (great toyota parts house). :nono:

8. Chainlink

Chainlink Member
    from Vermont

The turbo is a 22re-t it is a rare bird these days but you could find one if you were wanting to spend the dough , most people that have one know what they have. As for being beefed up kinda, the internals for the most part are the same except the pistons(need less compression) the tranies were heavier duty and I believe the rear axle was the same used for the 6 cylinder models

as to the later post some one suggested upgrading the timing chain guide I whole heartedly agree.

9. lawlopez

lawlopez Member

10. lawlopez

lawlopez Member

There is something I don't understand.

The chain guides were originally made of plasic
    and brake.

This takes out the chain cover.

Why does all this make the chain wear out and break sooner ?

I have a suspicion that I've got the process backwards or something.

11. Jim Prill

Jim Prill Member
    from Zion Il

The toyota engines where designed to have two plastic guides that keep tention on the chain, as the chain stretches the guides keep tention on the chain so that the timing does't go out of spec. Unfortunatly toyota wasn't expecting 200,000 miles out of these engines (it woudn't be good for sales if we bought a new toyota every 15-20 years would it!!) so these guides get hard and brittle from the heat that these little work horses produce and after while they crack and break. I installed a rebuilt long block and wasn't aware that the cheap s.o.b.s used cheap aftermarket guides. After replacing the timing cover and the chain and guides everything is good. :dizzy:

12. lawlopez

lawlopez Member

So the guides maintain the tension and when they break we lose chain tension.

Ok. I get it.

13. lawlopez

lawlopez Member

I couldn't help myself

The nearby bone yard had 3 toyotas out in front.
    I asked them about it.
    I then called every bone yard in NH and ME.

I ended up buying a 152k motor from a '89 4runner
    for 600$ which included the starter. I paid another
    30$ for the alternator.

It had compression of 177, 176, 165, 175 and
    oil pressure of 60 cold and 40 hot.

It sounded real nice. Only some ticking from
    the injectors.

I was getting too twichy considering the remanufactured
    ones.

14. Chainlink

Chainlink Member
    from Vermont

well 150 000 miles plus, with good compression..big surprise :rolleyes: , thats why I love toyotas.

Still cosider checking the guides as stated before as for the injectors this is typical so no worries just run some cleaner through them and 2 or 3 tanks of high test fuel and they should quiet down a little but I figure with that many miles you will not get rid of the ticking all together. Also the ticking could be in the valves, they are very easy to tune, cheap gasket replacement also(just make sure you have the half moon gasket plugs that go on front and back are lined up carefully). All that said ticking is common for these but shouldnt be very loud.

15. lawlopez

lawlopez Member

It is still possible that the enginehas been replaced.
    I haven't been able to locate any of the original
    owners.

At first I didn't hear the ticking at all.
    After a while I noticed it but it wan't very loud at all.
    I don't think I'd hear it with the hood closed, for instance.

I'll at least inspect the guides.

16. Chainlink

Chainlink Member
    from Vermont

The loudness or lack there of you describe is in my opinion a good thing. I doubt very much it has been replaced. It is widely known that Toyotas get high miles regularly. Many including myself joke that a Yota is finally broken in after 100,000 miles. I personally have had a few that had over 300,000. I have also bought a couple with over 200,000 and didnt bat an eye about it.
    Regular maintenance is the key with any machinery but toyotas may be imo the most reliable made. They are considered low on power but they will almost never strand you. I say almost because I had a fuel pump go on me once grrrrrrrr.
    To sum up give it the once over (tune up and as before stated upgrades) and you should easily expect another 50,000 to 100,000 trouble free miles.

17. lawlopez

lawlopez Member

well I got my exercise today.

Well monday I found the engine but
    the mechanic wasn't answering the phone.
    Tuesday I got the mechanic but the yard
    couldn't give me the engine.
    I got the engine at 2:30, is started raining
    at 2:40 and of course by the time I got to
    the mechanic's place he had gone home.
    So I towed the truck a bit so I could
    access the bed, moved the engine on the
    bed, and tarped the whole thing.

I'm tired.

The good news is that the water pump and
    clutch look new.

So, I hopeful that I have a new timing chain
    already.

18. lawlopez

lawlopez Member

Well The engine is in. I drove it home thursday in a snowstorm after putting the plow on it. The only bad thing is that the muffler/pipe connection snapped where it was rusted out. I think I was getting wither some exhaust or perhaps oil smoke into the cab but I'm not sure what. It might just have been residual stuff floating around. A new toyota chain was put in. It works really well on plowing my driveway. I'm 1200' long so I don't have to clutch all that much.

Now to fix the muffler ...

19. lawlopez

lawlopez Member

muffler fixed.

Now I need to R&R things.
    Plow is balky.
    I need to replace the fluid and see if it works better.

20. Yotas

I wanted to comment on my Toyota experience. I purchased a 90' Extra Cab with 3.0 V6 for a work truck in 2003. Has had a wrist pin issue ever since I purchased the truck for $1500.00 with 148,000. I carry 500 lbs of Diesel and another 300 lbs of tools in my tool box. I live at 5300 feet and go over a 9300 foot pass when ever it snows. The roads are steep and in the winter sometimes almost un-passable. My Toyota makes it everytime. Most reliable truck I have ever had. I just check the oil every day. I told my self I will buy a new Diesel as soons as this truck stop running. Looks like I will have to wait a long time for that new truck......... :)

Painted this bad boy with Dupont Bed Liner Paint. Looks as good as new...!!!

[​IMG]