1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

93 gmc 3500hd

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DAFFMOBILEWASH, Nov 13, 2007.

1. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Ok here is my delema, got a 93 3500hd w/6.5l diesel and a 5speed man trans. This is a great truck for plowing other than the reverse gear drives me nuts. This gear(reverse) is the same ratio as the creaper first. The manual doesn't bother my driver but the slow speed drives me crazy.

So what do I do? Swap out the trans for an auto, fix the man trans, sell the truck??

Any suggestions??

DAFF

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I did the swap in an auto transmission with a Ford. If Chevy is the same as Ford even same year trucks have differences. I would not think it's impossible. You have to think about the transfer case mount and mating to the trans. The trans cross member may be in a different location. The shifter linkage and steering column. I would think a 93 is not a computer controlled trans, just needs a vacuum line.

Got large areas to plow? Do radius plowing, raise the plow at the end of the push and go around to the start going forward. Drop the plow push,raise at the end ,go around. Then angle and clean up the stopping point of the pushes with a couple of passes.
    I plowed a Target like this because my reverse went out. We do this with large parking lots. With a bunch of trucks running a conga line it gets to be a blast. You always going forward. The trucks happy it's charging and cooling and no changes of direction.

3. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Not if it's a 3500hd. they were all 2wd back then, until Chevy changed the designations recently.
    Wouldn't be too bad to change to an auto, but about all you're going to find for the 6.5 is a 4l80e, they need electronic control, that would make it a difficult and expensive swap. It would help some but the bigger problem is the rear axle gear is like 5:88 in those trucks. Reverse is low for a reason, they need to be able to back up loaded on a hill without smoking the clutch. I'm sure they weren't thinking about people wanting to go fast in reverse for plowing purposes. Kind of like the Allison autos.

Good points about the staying in forward as much as possible.

Maybe you could find a 2wd manual trans to fit with a different reverse gear, but I'm not sure. Personally I'd leave it alone and live with it, think of how much it would cost just to make it a little easier to drive backwards for a relatively small amount of time.

4. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for your input guys, just as I expected the issue is harder to resolve than it is worth. I think it may be better in putting the conversion cash into a different project..

DAFF

5. BCLARK

BCLARK Member

I have a 93 3500HD GMC that is a 4WD. Maybe it is a rare one?

6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Quigley conversion I assume?

7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

If there were 4wds made it must have been by the aftermarket conversions, to my knowledge they were never available from the factory in 4wd configuration. Which isn't to say that I have seen them all, I have seen hundreds from that era, lots of utility contractors around here bought them for line work. So, perhaps I stand corrected, or not.

Also, is the 93 HD you have a true 3500hd? Many people here and on other sites seem to add hd to their vehicle designation at random. A true 3500hd is a 15k (thats off the top of my head) gvwr cab and chassis with 19.5 inch wheels, 84 CA or more and the body sits higher off the frame. Most people call it a 3 inch bodylift, but it's really not a conventional bodylift kit, just different body mounts.

If you do have a 4wd conversion, that is cool. I wouldn't mind having something like that, be a logical step between the 3500 and 4500 4x4. Would be cool to put a dually bed on it and some nice wheels. Got any pics?

8. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

The more I read BCLARK's post, the more I'm thinking he really has a regular K-3500. SRW or DRW I don't know.

When the HD designation came out in 2001 with the 9200GVW, people really started calling their '88 - '00 K series HD. Why I have no idea.

Yeah, GM really missed the boat by NOT 4x4'ing the 3500HD for all those years.

Like you said, detroitdan, it's a nice tweener from a 3500 dually and the 4500's.

9. BCLARK

BCLARK Member

I looked last night and it is a 3500 DRW dump. It does not say HD on it And it is really a 94 not a 93. My bad.

Bob

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The easy way to tell an actual 15,000 GVW 3500HD is to look at the filler panel between the bumper and the grill....

The 3500HD will have a taller filler panel with extra cooling openings in it between the bumper and grill..
    It will also have 19.5 wheels, rather than the usual 16 in.

Btw DAFF, if your doing any trans comparing, your truck will have the NV4500 trans in it.. and your right, reverse is pretty low in them.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  11. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

3500HD
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good pics Duncan.. Those clearly show the difference between the two trucks..