1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

93 Ford F-450 brake problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by doug424, Oct 3, 2004.

1. doug424

doug424 Junior Member

I have a Ford F-450, 1993 that is driving me nuts. The brakes were working fine, until one day last week. I get in the truck and move it, my brake pedal goes to the floor. It still has brakes, but slowly goes down. It's not losing any fluid, and I have looked for anything moving, swelling hoses, etc., but so far,nothing. My first thought was the master cylinder has failed, so, I put a new one on. Same problem...I have tried bleeding, and, more bleeding.....still no luck. Someone thought my power booster (hydraulic booster) was to blame,,,,,I changed it to another used one,,,,,but same thing happens. It does get a pedal with engine off, but under power, it goes slowly to the floor. Has anyone had any trouble like this? And hopefully some idea as how to fix it. Thanks.....

2. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I had that same thing on a 95 PS f350. went through 3 master cylinders till I found a good one. all new ones from ford. If you are not loosing fluid and the peddle creeps to the floor it almost has to be the master cylinder.

3. doug424

doug424 Junior Member

That was my first thought, the master cylinder being bad. I guess I'm going to have try to test the new one somehow to make sure its good or bad before I go any further. What a pain when you buy a new part, and you still can't be sure it's good.....

4. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

It has happened to me more then once. even from a dealer. I expect it from places like NAPA, or Parts Plus because they use so many rebuilds but not from a dealer on new parts.