1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

93 F350

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Herbie, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Herbie

Herbie Junior Member

Considering buying a 93 F350, Jasper diesel 100K miles, 5 speed?
    Used by a const. company. Cracked bell housing. Other than that I think it's ok. Comes with an 8.5 meyers poly plow used one year, sat one year.
    Don't know much about fords or their diesels, etc. 5 grand for the package.
    Anyone want to weigh in on my 'find'?
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Price seems OK.Maybe have someone give it a good once over.It has a solid front axle,so it should plow well.

Where is the bellhousing cracked,and any idea why ?
  3. Herbie

Herbie Junior Member

No I don't know where the housing is cracked. I originally was just looking at the plow. The guy mentioned that they were considering selling the whole thing for 5g's. I asked my mechanic to take a look at it before we move on.
    Wanted to get some more input from relialbe sources, (plowsite and its members;) ), on the deal.
  4. Herbie

Herbie Junior Member

It's not the bell housing it's the tail housing. Cracked on one of the bottom (facing) fins. Mechanic says it can be welded and should be OK. famous last words:(
    Plan on changing oil, flushing cooling system, what else should be done?:confused:
    Plow has been used one year and sat one year. Plan on changing fluid in it. Anything else?
  5. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Ask when the last time the SCA was checked, and what it was. And if you can check the SCA level in the coolant now. If they do not have a clue what you are talking about then they most likely did not maintain it well. SCA needs to be between 1.5-3.0 If it is real low then the cylinder walls have most likely started to erode from coolant cavitation. You could also do a oil sample. Kinda odd, a tail shaft housing breaking on a 5spd. The autos had a small problem with this but not the stick. Smell the oil, does it smell of diesel? I believe this year also had the dual mass flywheel, and clutch....not the best or strongest. After market replacements are available. I would not weld the trans but rather get a used replacement t/s housing. All in all the IDI engines are very reliable. $5k sounds fine for well maintained truck.
  6. Herbie

Herbie Junior Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm forwarding your advice to my mechanic. He'll understand what you just said.:confused:
    Yeah, everyone has said price seems good. Comes with decent plow too. Tires are practically new. I'm due for a good deal, I sick of lemon aid:(
  7. Herbie

Herbie Junior Member

Hey, while I'm at it. These locking hubs. How do I tell if they're auto? Could I run the hubs locked in the entire time during an event? (from job to job etc.).
  8. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Back in 93 the auto hubs did not have the dial to turn. They were just chrome caps that looked like hubs without the dial. You could leave the hubs locked when traveling between jobs, but it would still steer funny just like as if it were in 4X4.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i know the auto hubs had issues

not locking when putting in 4wd

my father in law was plowing

backed up out of a snow pile the right side hub blew apart

converted to warn hubs