1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

93 f350 7.3 Dsl high miles

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by murphy4trees, Apr 5, 2004.

1. murphy4trees

murphy4trees Member

I AM looking at a 93 F-350 12' stake body, with a 7.3 diesel engine and 180K miles...
    It looks pretty good...new paint... a couple of mechanical issues and minor rust on the stake body...
    The motor has seen hard work towing a 9000 lb trailer up monster hills... yet seems to run well. the owner is a former ford mechanic and has been landscaping for 6 years...
    He wants to take the meyers plow and salt apreader, which is OK by me... My route is tight lots and drioves and I don't plan to get big lots right now..
    He's asking $7,500... My main concern is the high miles... any thoughts or suggestions...

Maybe I'd be better off putting the 7500 down and making payments on a new truck... gotta move soon as I have work to do...
  2. josh46044

josh46044 Junior Member
    from Indiana

A diesel engine will last along time as long as it has been taken care of. It will last a long way past 180k, with regular oil changes and maintenance on time. Does he have any records of the maintenance. $7500 is not all that bad of a price for the year and engine as long as it has gotten the care it needs. Just for a little thought the 7.3 was a better built engine than the 6.9. I have a 6.9 with about 300k and it is still going. Those are not easy miles it has been a plow truck and tow truck for about 200k of those. But it has been very well taken care of.

As for just buying new that would always be the better idea if the money is not a problem.
  3. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I would not be concerned on the miles. I do not consider 180k high miles for a diesel. I would worry about the trans with all the hauling. As far as a new truck goes I would not buy a 6.0 yet maybe 2005. For plowing drives the 12' bed will either have a real lond wheel base or a ton of overhang. Either are not the best for manuvering. the price is just a little high to me.
  4. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

The motor will outlast the rest of the truck 2 to 1. Look at the spring, spring hangers, front end steering, brakes, u-joints electrical, just all the rest of the truck that is what will most likly fail first.
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

A friend of mine has a retired ambulance with over 300k on a 7.3 diesel. It smokes a bit on heavy acceleration and uses a little oil, but it runs strong. Just be prepared to start replaceing other parts that are going to wear out. I have seen used 7.3 engines listed for anywhere fron $2,500 --> $3,500 at a local truck junk yard.
  6. juggernaut

juggernaut Member

International Diesels

If a diesel mechanic has taken care of the truck great! Most (some) people do not know the proper attention that a diesel needs particularly the Navistar/International engines which are great motors however they can be finicky (at least the powerstrokes can be, however yours is most likely a Turbo IDI). There is only ONE question you need to ask as a potential buyer of a Ford(International) diesel that will most likely tell you the condition of the whole truck. If he can honestly tell you that he kept tabs on the "SCA level in the coolant,", then you know the guy was on top things with the motor and it was WELL CARED FOR. If not its not a huge deal just make sure it doesnt use coolant, which could be any number of things including a pinhole leak in the cylinder walls from coolant cavitation in the water jacket :eek: