1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

93 f350 5 speed tranny

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by wahlturfcare, Feb 1, 2011.

1. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i have a p3 f350 with a 460 and ZF 5 speed tranny that is becoming a pain to shift as it wants to grind gears sometimes and other times it wont.
    It sometime also is hard to get into/out of gear.

I have a new clutch, flywheel, pressure plate and slave cylinder late last year.

If i put the truck in 4 low it makes it alot easier to shift for some reason.
    i have drained the fluid and coulnt find any filings or anything in the old fluid.
    Could the shift forks be bad?

2. EIAsphaltMaint

EIAsphaltMaint Junior Member
    from NWI

It could be the shift forks bent maybe?? Can you adjust the clutch?

3. wahlturfcare

i cant find anywhre to adjust the clutch as i have looked before too.

4. Brad Ent

Brad Ent Junior Member
    from CT

We had a similar problem with our F-250, and found out the bell housing was cracked at pivot pin. Check the firewall for cracks and excessive movement while engaging the clutch.

5. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio

Clutches are for 1st gear and wussies after that! :D
    How many miles? Could the synchros be going out?
    Get under it and watch everything move as someone else pushes the pedal. No flex in firewall, slave cylinder piston has adequate travel, no movement where there shouldn't be any.
    Chad

6. weareweird69

weareweird69 Senior Member

Its not uncommon for the syncro's to go bad...

It might just be time to have it refreshed. Being a standard, ZF5, it wont cost much.

7. wahlturfcare

i've look around the firewall and bellhousing are and couldnt find any cracks anywhere.

Also, i forgot to note that is is a hydraulic setup on the firewall.

i noticed to day it would shift fine for awhile and others it wouldnt.

the gear that is the hardest to go into is reverse and second after that. but in low range on the transfercase it goes into reverse alot eaiser for some reason.

8. Diesel_brad

Diesel_brad Senior Member

Check all of your bushings in the pedal linkage. If you are not getting enough throw it will be hard to put in gear.

like others said, the syncros go all the time in the zf

9. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio

Reverse has no synchro so I would continue to check the linkages, pivots, master/slave cylinders. Does it have the 'not so' automatic adjuster in the pushrod?
    Chad

10. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

Yes. Check to bushings at the top of the clutch/brake pedal. Also they crack/flex at the fire wall where the clutch master cylinder mounts. ZF's can have issues with reverse but it usually pops out of gear.

11. Keith_480231

Keith_480231 Senior Member

Check the throw out bearing. My '91would pop out of reverse and had to have a new gear cluster put in and throw out bearing. Sloved the problem,plowed for several more seasons before getting rid of the truck.