1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

93 f250 help

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by spiviter, Nov 1, 2004.

1. spiviter

spiviter Member
    from chicago

I am looking for a bigger alternator; I am in the process of setting up dual batteries now. I just picked this truck up not to long ago. It has a 351 with a 3 speed auto trans(no overdrive) with 38k orignal miles.A western 7’6 unimout plow. The previous owner told me under heavy use it would kill the battery and leave you stranded. Any help or advice will be appreciated. Any new tricks of the trade to note. I haven’t plow in about 10 years now….And just starting to get back into it again.
    Thanks Keith :confused:
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Take the alternator to a local electrical shop and have them beef up the amp output. :waving:
  3. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

YEP!! That is the thing to do!! :waving:
  4. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

You could also install a smaller pully on the alt. to increase
    output at lower RPM. also Plow in low range so the RPM is a bit higher for better output. go to a faster recovery battery like OPTMA also helps. Lift your blade as you hit the pile or dont lift it till you start backing up so the alternator takes the load insted of the battery. use a strobe insted of rotating becon (takes less juice). Plow with only parking lights and strobe. (headlights off) turn off the radio and heater.

There are a few things you can try to help but the best is make sure all your electrical conections are good, the plow is not drawing to much juce, the batterys are in good shape and alternator is putting out at least what it is suspose to.
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If you go with duel batteries make sure you put a heavy duty isolator setup with them. If you don't, you get whats called "battling battery syndrome"
    The stronger battery will discharge into the weaker, back and forth till they are both low. Does not matter if they are both new,one will always be weaker or slightly so. Get the biggest batteries you can fit in the trays. I think the second battery goes where the washer tank/rad overflow is now on single battery trucks. ( mines an 89 F-250) <-- This year only had 60 -80 amp available stock.
    Call shops that do auto electrical work / rebuilds, they can up grade your alternator up to 140 amps in your stock case for around $1 and amp.
    The higher the rating, the more amps put out at low RPM's.
    Marker sure all the connections are clean with dielectric grease on them and a ground cable connected to your plow pump.