1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

93 f-250 problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

Ok a few weeks back my starter went, so I replaced the starter and when I did the cable from the starter to the battery hit the manifold and burned off the coating and caught on fire. In the process I blew a fuseable link. I replaced the cable and the fuseable link, thenI noticed that the battery wasnt holding a charge, so I replaced the battery. I went to pull out of the drive I got about 5 feet and lost all power as in go power. I came to a stop and tried to rev up truck no luck, then I heard a big bang and the truck started running, looked underneath and blew a hole in one of the mufflers, well ever since then I can get it to about 20 mph before it starts to bog down starts spitting and supperting, as soon as I let off of the gas and slowly accelerate it seems to be ok. When It is just idleing its fine, it just does this when i am getting on the gas and after 5 or 10 sec of getting on the gas it starts backfiring. I have also replaced the manifolds wires and plugs with in the past week while it was in the garage, Any ideas

Thanks

Rich

2. Scenic Lawnscape

its a 93 f-250 with a 351 auto with 115,000 miles

3. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Did you check the ground cable?
    I'm guessing that the amperage necessary to cook your positive wire had to get back to the battery somehow.
    I have seen bad grounds can do some crazy things.

Sputtering and loss of power.
    Is this truck the fuel injected one with the 2 fuel pump setup? (one in the tank, and one on the rail by the fuel filter)
    Sometimes they still run (bad) when 1 of the 2 pumps fail.

Does the engine rev ok up in neutral but not under load?
    Maybe you have a collapsed catalytic converter causing a restriction in your exhaust system.

The way you explain the power loss reminds me of when I burnt a hole in the number one piston in my old 2.2 olds.
    Just a little on the throttle and I could get it up to speed.
    Too much and it would sputter and start to lose speed.
    I drove that car home about 90 miles like that after I disconnected the PCV system and added about 9 Quarts of oil.
    The vacuum gage was all over the place when I hooked it up the next day.

I don't know about the exhaust exploding was it rusty? plugged? kinked

4. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

where is the hole in the exhaust? Is the O2 sensor still there?

5. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

If this started after you changed wires and plugs you have the wires mixed up.

6. Scenic Lawnscape

started before i replaced the wires, and the o2 sensor is still there it was the muffler that blew apart

7. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

I have a 93 f250 and if I understand you right you have electricla issues taken care of, or you may have a relay cooked to a TPS or something. The other issue could be a plugged converter, I had a converter problem and the truck would run but had zero power.
    Not an expert but that may help