1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

93 f-250 front end noise

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

I just bought a 93 f-250 4 x 4 351 reg cab i went and had tires but on it and ever since then when i go over a bump i hear a clunking/grinding noise. I hit the brakes and it goes away. if i park the truck and come back its gone intill i hit a bump and then its back i hit the brakes gone. it doesnt do it in reverse and it gets louder and worse when i turn right. im thinking a bad hub or a cracked brake pad?? It has me stumped
  2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

It is probably your U-joints. Also, do you have auto or manual hubs? It may be the auto hubs going south.
  3. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

manual hubs
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Look for a rock trapped in there somewhere? loose fitting brake pad? All the hold down bolts / pins tight ? Look for parts with scuff marks on it. Hard to tell without being there to hear the noise. You have bearings in there too that may have never had service. Minor Inner and Major outer bearings. More then 50k on it I would have front bearings greased and cleaned. Manual hubs need seals and cleaned / greased too. I have done Fords for a long time sounds like fairly minor maintenance needed. But ya never know, Fords go along time with major failures without stopping!
  5. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

I had a similar problem on my Ranger. It would clunk and bang all day and go away when I stopped. I couldnt figure it out. One day, Id had enough of the noise and pulled off the tires to get a good look. It turns out that one of the caliper bracket bolts had come out and was banging around when I was moving and would hit the rim when I went backwards. I put a new bolt in and no more banging. I suppose it could happen on the F250, after all, it is a ford ;) .