1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'93 f-150 alternator upgrade question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by smokey, Dec 9, 2003.

1. smokey

smokey Member
    from indy

I am installing a bigger alt. on my '93 f-150. My question what do you do with the old power wires? The new alt. calls for a bigger charging cable and thats fine but what do you do with the old ones? They are in a harness and I don't want to leave them bouncing around the engine compartment as they are still connected to the batt. Thanks

2. bcf

bcf Senior Member

I just put in a 3G 160 amp in my 90 f250, and I just took all the old wiring out. Actually, the one harness hooked up to the new alt, but the two 10 ga wires I replaced with 2 4 ga wires, but whatever wasn't getting used came out of the truck. They wer all wired down to one ring terminal on the solenoid anyway.

Of course, I've heard of someone leacing the old wiring in just in case you have trouble with the new alt, just pop the old one back in. But i didn't want the wires dagling anyway

3. bcf

bcf Senior Member

I just put in a 3G 160 amp in my 90 f250, and I just took all the old wiring out. Actually, the one harness hooked up to the new alt, but the two 10 ga wires I replaced with 2 4 ga wires, but whatever wasn't getting used came out of the truck. They wer all wired down to one ring terminal on the solenoid anyway.

I did hear someone leave the old wiring, so they essentially had two different hookups, in case the new one goes bad they just pop the old one back in

4. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Smokey,

I put a 200 amp alternator upgrade in my 250 V-10, I put an additional 4 gage wire from the alternator lug to the positive side of the battery. Leave your original wire on as well, the power will follow the path of least resistance which will ultimately be the heavier wire.

Remember your ground is just as important as the supply, I used an additional 4 gage wire from the neg. side of the battery and grounded that on the engine block.

With my plow in use, the ba-zillion lights I have, defroster going and oh yeah most importantly the stereo ( consists of 2 12" subs 2 5 channel amps ) there is no dimming of the lights what so ever when the plow is in motion.

Hope this helps :D

5. smokey

smokey Member
    from indy

Currently the charge wire out of the alt. goes to the start solenoid. Is that where I should put the new wire or should it go directly to the battery? If the new one goes directly to the battery then what will connect to the start solenoid?

6. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

leave the orig. wire there, that is required for power to your started, just add an additional wire from the alternator lug and that goes directly to the battery. The extra power the alternator makes will not fry the orig. wire cause the extra power follows path of least resistance, which is you added 4 ga. wire.

as i mentioned, don't forget to add a bigger ground ;)

i have had mine installed for six months and it works perfect..

7. smokey

smokey Member
    from indy

thanks, I get it now.