1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

93 Explorer Question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by tjslider, Jan 26, 2011.

1. tjslider

tjslider Member

Question about an Exploder:

I have a great little driveway rig, 93 Explorer 4.0 v-6 approx 220,000 miles w/6.6 Western on the front.
    The other day climbed in started right up. I noticed the oil press. was lower than it normally was. It was still within the "rm" of normal. I did my route, no issues. Next morning get in, fires right up pressure is in the "or" range. 3rd morning, pressure is around the "n" of normal.

It doesn't drink oil (shocking for age & mileage), 2/3 quart every 2500-3000 miles or 50-75 hrs. It's not running hot, no valve chatter, no other symptoms that I can find. I have asked a few motorheads that I know, they think its a bearing issue or sending unit/guage.

I thought I would post here and ask the experts.

Thanks in advance!

2. Jgramlich

Jgramlich Senior Member

My 91 Bronco is the same way, always on the N or lower. Haven't had any problems, doesn't drink or leak oil. No symptoms. I just blame the gauge.

Probably doesn't help you much, but I am a firm believer in if it isn't broken, don't fix it (and just blame the gauge haha)
  3. tjslider

tjslider Member

I agree... on the don't fix part.

I have been doing more research today... looks more and more like sending unit/gauge.
    Crossing my fingers.

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You probably can put an after market gage on it cheaper then buying the sending unit. Or get the OEM sending unit from a junk yard. At a pull apart lot you can go out and find one and hardly pay anything for it.