1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'93 explorer - No 4x4

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mautore, Aug 17, 2009.

1. mautore

mautore Member

I have a '93 Explorer that won't go in to 4wd push the button on the dash and nothing happens. No lights, sounds etc.. Tried low range...same thing. Hubs are automatic...not manual. I'd like to put it into 4wd high and leave it there, since the truck isn't used much. I heard that it is possible to put them into 4wd manually, either by putting 12v to the motor on the transfer case, or by physically changing it. Does anyone know how this is done...which wires on the motor get the 12v? Has anyone done it manually? Any help is apprecaited...thanks.
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would get the single model manual that deals with your year vehicle. Or go to a bigger Library and see if they have the repair manual. They may have it in the basement or order it from a division. If I am not mistaken it's shifted by an electric module / motor. It should have automatic hubs that engage when 4X4 is engaged. My book only deals with 91's which are pretty much Bronco II's with 4 doors.There could be other issues like the transfer case is toast or a drive shaft is missing. It all depends on how skilled you are on working on it.
  3. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Pull the motor off the tcase (2-3 bolts), stick something in the hole and turn it clockwise (I think) until it clicks. It should be pretty easy to do. I've done it on a Bronco, but it's been a while. Should be pretty easy though.
  4. if it is a bush buggy\lot truck\general pos affekonig's solution sounds about right if it is something that sees dry pavement reguarly i wouldn't leave it in 4x4 permanetly or you will at best wear rubber\u-joints at worst greneade something. If it is not even trying i would think you mave have popped a fuse or have a bad connection, those shift motors usually get slugish then quit more often then just out of the blue quit. also if it is the shift motor they have become a lot more reasonable in price. pull the plug i believe it is a three wire plug 1 ground two for switching (I think it is i cannot remember) have someone hit the switch for 4x4 and look for twelve volts if there is power it is more then likely just the shift motor. if not maybe put it on a switch. Sorry i couldn't give wiring colours my pos haynes manual dosn't have the 4x4 acuator in the wiring diagrams
  5. ps thats the reason i hate push button 4 wheel drive you could be screwed becasue of a wire or fuse I just ordered a 08 f-250 last year and i got the push button 4x4 delete at least when my 4x4 dosn't work now it will be good and broke like a spat shaft or u-joint!!
  6. mautore

mautore Member

Thanks for the responses guys...Luke_P, it is used only as a lot truck and doesn't see dry pavement at all, rarely does it even get above 15mph. I'll give affekonig's solution a try as soon as I have some time, and let you guys know how I made out. I was hoping to be able to put 12v to the transfer case motor, but I don't know which wire colors would be correct for doing that. The truck was parked about 5months ago with the push button 4x4 in working order, but when I fired it up about 3 weeks ago and attempted to put it into 4wd it did nothing. Again...thanks for the help, I'm open to any other ideas...comments.
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Being that old the parts may be in a junk yard. It may even be going into 4X4 and the light is just not coming on. I hate the lazy button 4X4 switching! Just add complexity to the system so lazy people don't have to lean forward and pull a lever. They might pull a muscle or something.
  8. If it worked when it was parked when you pull the shift motor to try affekoings solution try moving the shift motor buy hand it may just be stuck from sitting use to fix two or three salesmans truck every winter (first snowfall) because they had not turned on the 4x4 since the last snowfall sitting does wonderful things to relays, motors, solenoids. vacum pods etc
  9. Lawnman883

Lawnman883 Member

those shift motors are notorius for getting stuck. i hear of guys taking a rubber mallet and just hititng the crap out of the motor and it will eventually break free...