1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

93 Chevy diesel??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Evan528, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

Hello Guys, I have been searching quite some time for a work truck to ad to my fleet as im tired of using a $40,000 new Dodge Ram for work. In my area 3/4+ ton trucks are difficult to come by for a reasonable price and in good condition. Found out tonight a buddy of mines father has a 93 Chevy 3500 crew cab diesel for sale and is willing to take 5500 dollars for it. It has a brand new diesel motor with 30,000 miles but the truck has a whole has 175,000. The transmission has recently been checked (oil changed) and appears to be strong. The truck is in exellent condition and has never towed much. This truck would fit my needs very well and is in my price range. I am a bit concerned about he high mileage though. What do you think about this deal? this year truck in general? Any comments would be well appreciated as I would like to make a decision within the next day or so. Thanks

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I have a '92 3500 with over 185,000 and still runs strong. I wouldn't hesitate to take a long trip with it, it's very reliable. The only thing I'd be concerned with is rust, make a close inspection. The frame rails were prone to cracking behind the front A frame mount of 2WD versions, I'm not sure about 4 x 4s.

My truck's a 5 speed, can't say anything about the longevity of an auto.

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

The main question that I have is, why does it have a new motor, if it hasn't ever pulled much? I mean its not like diesels don't last, something sounds funny here. An injection pump I can see, but a whole motor? Thats a bit extreme for a truck that 'sounds' babied. But 5500 seems alright, as long as the body and interior are in decent shape. Is this a plow truck, crew cab trucks are LONG, and not the most manuverable either....

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Evan,that truck sounds like a good deal. As long as the body is clean.The new motor wouldnt scare me,6.5's dont usually last that long anyway.For the $$ i dont think you can go wrong.Is the truck a 4wd or 2wd? If a 4wd,id jump on it ,it will sell quickly with winter right around the corner. I know a lot of guys that do what your lookingto do,save the nice truck for giving estimates,running around,and for when the old one breaks down,or if you need 2 trucks.I do the same thing with my 2000,I use the gmc' for the dirty work most of the time.