1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

93 chevy 2500 5.7

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MPF, Feb 12, 2003.

1. MPF

MPF Junior Member
    from MD.

I HAVE A CHEVY 2500 4WD 5.7 TRUCK HAS 140000 MILES .ENGINE HAS BEEN COMPLETELY REBUILT AND HAS 20000 MILES ON IT.I TOW A TRENCHER THAT IS 3000LBS I GET ABOUT 9 MPG. THE EXHAUST SYSTEM IS STOCK W/ THE ORIGINAL CATALYTIC CONVERTER. DO YOU THINK A GOOD CONVERTER AND FREE FLOWING MUFFLER WILL HELP MY MPG??

2. porkhead1

porkhead1 Member

A good free-flowing exhaust system is always nice, but how much better mpg are you looking for.....?? If you're trying to get into the double-digits....you're going to be spending at of $$$. How's your tranny doin...??? 140k + pulling 3k pounds, maybe its slipping a little..??? Have you ever changed the plugs/wires/cap & rotor...?? Tire pressures up.......?? What else you carring in the truck (bed)..???

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I think your mileage is normal.If it helps it wont be very much,You may gain a small amount of power,very small..The only way to get good mileage towing is to tow downhill only:D .or buy a diesel.

4. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

like already stated you wont gain that much but I would do it anyways after all when you gain milage you will also gain power I have done this and gained anywhere from 3 to 9 mpg

here is teh order I go in

synthetic oil(full not blend)
    synthetic gear lube
    k&n filter
    throttle body spacer(i.e. helex power tower)
    step up ignition system(i.e. accel wires cap & rotor rapid fire plugs)
    free flow exhaust
    cold air induction
    if not a plow truck underdrive pulleys

you dont have to go and do all at once the way I did it was as maintence i.e. truck needs plugs notice wires stiff insted of the auto zone cheapo stuff spend the extra and get the good stuff air filter dirty exhaust rusty etc etc my commuter s10 that I also pull 5000 lbs of equipt on the weekend went from running 4th down shifting to 3rd to running od down shifting to 4th